OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

And the tweets by the players and the former players of Bo only confirm how bad this was getting. He was basically manipulating them. I'm all for the players loving and defending their coach, but this was getting ridiculous, he was turning everyone else into their enemy in their mind.

i agree with this and you said it well. it was becoming akin to stockholm syndrome.

• Fire 2

And for anyone that was still wondering how Nebraska could fire a guy with a .700+ win % here ya go. I can not think of another coach that would whine as much as Bo Pelini has about coaching Nebraska. For someone who preaches core values, Bo has an extreme lack of class. Sean Eichorst never supported you? He comes in and you get private jets for recruiting. This whole transcript solidifies what a joke Pelini was as a head coach and a leader. The second audio tape that has come out the last couple years, I can't even think of another head coach that has one tape. I echo the statements made by the University, that this solidifies the decision that he could no longer lead these young men.

Bo was all about Bo in this entire rant. Very little did he speak about anyone but himself and how bad he had it. Victim mentality.

That's the greatest shame in all of this. You have those kids' backs all these years, they trust you and look up to you. Here's a chance to help them along, to truly not make it about you.

I have to agree with the characterization of this as manipulative. That's exactly what it is.

• Fire 3

Right or wrong, i am concerned if we have a leader who only saw a guy he just fired 7-8 times for 20 minutes all year. I have seen my boss for more than 20 minutes today alone.

How many employees does your boss have? Did your boss hire you?

and can anyone blame eichorst for avoiding bo? bo hated him from the first time he met him. so, maybe, once again, bo should have taken some responsibility on the chilly relationship.

Disagree here. A boss avoiding his employees?

Seems like a cowardly move. I dont care what Bo thinks of me, i call him in to my office and I check in on him.

Can a relationship be fixed by just ignoring him?

I get Bo is a tough guy to deal with, but he strikes me as a"respect guy". You earn his respect by making it clear where you stand. If he doesnt like it, then he can leave, but at least he makes it clear to Bo what is expected of him.

maybe bo should have worked harder to earn his boss' respect. whose respect has bo earned?

His players and his fellow coaches.

Again. I am not here to defend Bo. I agree with him being let go.

My point is that if a new boss comes in, he does have to earn his stripes a bit and show to his employees he can handle the situation. At the end of the day, if they dont like or respect him, then he can let them go.. but any new place, it is about proving yourself.

I dont care if you are the HC, the AD or the Chancellor, you still need to prove that you are able to handle your job so that the people under you can trust there leader.

On the other side of the coin, yes, maybe Bo could have tried to reach out to SE. IT goes both ways and it seems like neither guy was interested in creating a relationship with the other.

you respect the man or woman that pays you. if you don't, that's on you. go somewhere else. bo was entitled a paycheck. nothing else.

Until they lose your respect.

Nothing says you have to respect your boss. A sign of a good boss, is one that knows he is in control but yet treats his employees with the respect he wants in return from them.

This is not about if what Bo said was right or wrong. It was wrong and Bo is a vindictive A-hole.. I get that.

My concern is that SE was scared of Bo or never made an attempt to work with Bo and come to an understanding.

This is all about how SE will conduct himself with other employees who he doesnt like right off the bat.

I personally don't think the administration had much to do with the way the football team played, if that's the correlation Bo was trying to make. Bo's teams started to get blown out in 2011, not 2013 when SE took over. Their lack of execution and poor fundamental play has been around for years.

Perhaps Bo just wanted SE to come to him and say keep up the good work, push him along and be supportive. And I can understand that. But, if you're not winning the games that matter, if you're not being the best representative of the university and if you're struggling against teams you shouldn't be struggling against, it's unlikely your boss is going to be completely behind you.

It is what it is.

• Fire 3

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.

And the tweets by the players and the former players of Bo only confirm how bad this was getting. He was basically manipulating them. I'm all for the players loving and defending their coach, but this was getting ridiculous, he was turning everyone else into their enemy in their mind.

i agree with this and you said it well. it was becoming akin to stockholm syndrome.

Especially when I read Scott Shanle saying he could see the "Us versus them" bullcrap being created.

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.

Courtney Love dont give an Eff.. He is chilling with his Homies in 'Tucky.

Lol the man is gone and guys on this message board think trying to convince people online that Bo is a psychopath will somehow mean something.

bo is not gone. his effect continues. this hurts the program.

and bo has provided ample evidence with his behavior. you do not have to believe it, but i do not know how you could not.

and people still talk about nixon.

The point is the mans been fired, the crusade is over. I dont like how he threw a toxic bombshell onto the team before exiting but Im not terribly offended surprised or thrilled about it either way. The relationship between he and players was a firm one, their attitude about his firing wasnt going to be swayed much had he not said these things.

Its for the better he has been let go, but he isnt a lunatic or a psychopath. He is a stubborn and bull headed human being whose heart is bigger than his brain at times.

• Fire 5

I personally don't think the administration had much to do with the way the football team played, if that's the correlation Bo was trying to make. Bo's teams started to get blown out in 2011, not 2013 when SE took over. Their lack of execution and poor fundamental play has been around for years.

Perhaps Bo just wanted SE to come to him and say keep up the good work, push him along and be supportive. And I can understand that. But, if you're not winning the games that matter, if you're not being the best representative of the university and if you're struggling against teams you shouldn't be struggling against, it's unlikely your boss is going to be completely behind you.

It is what it is.

Excellent post.

Lol the man is gone and guys on this message board think trying to convince people online that Bo is a psychopath will somehow mean something.

After that transcript came out, this isn't a hard sell.

Listen, I've been among the most vocal supporters Bo's had for several years, even after the first tape came out. But how many times do you have to get punched by this guy before you disassociate yourself from him?

This is starting to look like Battered Wife Syndrome. No man who says what he said to those players deserves our support.

• Fire 8