Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

One thing is clear is that somehow reporters came to know it was tommy a and Westerkamp's place. The reporters then came to ask them questions. Now, assuming these guys or either of them individually had anything to do directly with the alleged assault, then they would be quite foolish to be talking to anyone but an attorney. I think it very likely that Tommy did not participate in some kind of assault as it would not seem likely he would discuss the matter as he did. Of course, you never know what the cops told him about the incident or what has been alleged or anything. His questioning may have been as simple as "so and so says she was assaulted while at a party at your house Saturday night! What can you tell us about the incident? Assuming he knows little or nothing, he says so. Then, if cops asked follow up questions, he may have said I don't know. I wasn't there or whatever. Presumably, it was later on that he was told by someone it was consensual.

I don't think it is safe to assume based on anything reported so far that there were no players involved nor even that Tommy is not the accused. It is simply too early to tell. Often the police don't even hint at the crime being investigated in an effort to get admissions or other statements from the 'suspects' and 'persons of interest' without them knowing. Police also tell their prime suspects lies deliberately in attempts to assure the accused they are 'in no trouble' and so on. They 'befriend' the suspect in order to gain their confidence and get them to admit things that will hang themselves in the process. Trickery and deception are often used in lieu of torture.

I debated with myself about whether or not to post something in this thread. It's a delicate subject to talk about because simply hearing the word 'rape' creates strong feelings and strong opinions in nearly everyone.

That said, it appears that the incident took place at Armstrong's current residence, Armstrong himself is not likely involved, he knows the person accused, has spoken to said person, and was told by said person that the incident in question was consensual. Armstrong, Westerkamp, and Foster were interviewed by the police, apparently as potential witnesses and not as suspects. Armstrong was then interviewed by the press, where he implied that he was not involved with the incident in question but was told it was consensual, and said that the police told him and his housemates that they will be fine.

Assumptions can be made that, as part of the police interview, DNA samples were taken, even though the alleged victim has given a name to the police. Most likely to rule these young men out as potential suspects.

Given the fact that public opinion can sway the verdict in a case where there is not definitive proof, and that a mere accusation of rape can lead to immediate and permanant expulsion, revocation of pending student loans and disqualification of future student loans, and because of the marks in the accused's student records, said student can be denied entry into other universities... Armstrong probably did the right thing by implying to the press that he is not a current suspect.

Under recent Title 9 amendments and the current trend of instituting 'ongoing enthusiastic consent' standards in rape and sexual assault cases on universities, the definition of what exactly constitutes rape is becoming much more broad, the definition of consensual sex is becoming much more specific (and as implied, requires ongoing enthusiastic consent for the incident to be considered consensual sex, meaning that if one party initially consents but decides they do not want to continue, or in some of the broadest definitions, the victim can withdraw consent after the fact, especially in the cases where alcohol is involved. Usually in cases where the victim doesn't recall giving consent, even if consent was given before and during the act. Also, in some definitions, any amount of alcohol is enough to removes ones ability to give consent, so even if both parties consent, if one or both has consumed alchohol, it is considered rape.)

Given all the strong feelings about rape, sexual assault, and accusations of these acts, and the strong feelings is invokes in those that read about them in the news, distancing ones self from the situation publicly is the only viable defense against rumors, accusations, and Title 9 or NCAA investigations.

I hope that the alleged attacker is not a member of the football team, because this team does not need the distractions, this staff (already accused of fostering a rape culture) does not need the distraction, and the university does not need a reputation of having a dangerous campus.

I hope that the police take the alleged victims claims seriously and investigate with all due dilligence. I hope the alleged attackers rights to due process are not violated. I hope all possible evidence is legally gathered, that the jury is not unduly swayed by the press, and the prosecution and defense argue their cases fairly under the law. I hope justice is done and the truth is found.

GBR!

The Big Ten Network/Taylor Rooks just did a piece on it. She stated (paraphrasing) There's a situation in Lincoln, Nebraska as reported by the police. We'll update you further if there's more information.

As she spoke, the graphic on the screen was the statement from UNL about the matter, saying they're aware of the situation and they're cooperating with police.

No names, no details, no allegations.

That is exactly how the story should be reported at this moment. Kudos to the BTN. That's some solid reporting.

• Fire 3

Not bothering reading this all, just adding to the sh#t storm back here.

The university has to be PISSED at Tommy for saying a single word to the media before asking them first. This could have been handled with a simple no comment, or at least been coached through how to handle the media. Saying "I'm pretty sure it was consensual" is a good way to ruin everything.

Why are they even throwing a party? The season is so close to being over and they could not wait?

Also...if I played for NU I would do everything I could to make sure that the team was the most important thing, all the time! I would not be worried about partying and goofing around.

Are we really going to have this discussion again? Every college team has a party almost every weekend. Whether it's Bama or Chadron state. And every school in between
Yeah but the Chadron parties don't have any women there.
  • Fire 1