The Republican Utopia

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m so glad we are wiping our history clean. That will make our kids so much better citizens of the world. 

I certainly hope Matt Rhule and crew don't review game film and correct team mistakes because that would be hateful to DONU

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I certainly hope Matt Rhule and crew don't review game film and correct team mistakes because that would be hateful to DONU

Yes.  We must teach our football team that they are great and always have been great.  They never have lost a game.  

This idiotic issue with republicans is just like giving every kid a participation ribbon. We don’t want to make little Johnny feel bad….so let’s not mention that our ancestors were racist.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m so glad we are wiping our history clean. That will make our kids so much better citizens of the world. 

Why can't we acknowledge our scars, learn from them, and vow to do better?

On vacation last summer I was struck by this memorial in Lisbon. It was inaugurated in 2008 and it memorializes the 2000-4000 Jews who were slaughtered by the christian population after the king decreed all Jews in Portugal were converted to Christianity in 1506.

1280px-Homenagem_aos_Judeus_-_Massacre_d

In memory of the thousands of Jews who were victimed by intolerance and religious fanaticism, killed on the massacre that started on 19 April 1506, on this square

It's simple and succinct. It tells of an awful event orchestrated by the population, why it happened, and that it was wrong. It's a simple history lesson for the citizens of Lisbon and the world. Why is something like this so difficult to do in our country?

I think this is one of the most profound  markers of history I've read about.  In Germany, across Europe and Russia they did research and have more than 70K markers put down where jewish lives were lost - makes it very personal to be standing in front of a home where people were taken away and murdered in the name of a government initiative.  To learn that adults, teens etc were one members of a household that was dissolved , to learn their birth date and death date and manner is humbling.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/18/stumbling-stones-a-different-vision-of-holocaust-remembrance

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I promise you Sarah Huckabee Sanders thinks Christians are suffering from persecution all over the US and wants everyone to know about it and care about it and learn about it. Also, I’m sure she wants all of the kids to keep learning that the pilgrims came to the US to escape persecution. She just doesn’t want anyone to know about any suffering caused by Christians. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Why can't we acknowledge our scars, learn from them, and vow to do better?

On vacation last summer I was struck by this memorial in Lisbon. It was inaugurated in 2008 and it memorializes the 2000-4000 Jews who were slaughtered by the christian population after the king decreed all Jews in Portugal were converted to Christianity in 1506.

1280px-Homenagem_aos_Judeus_-_Massacre_d

It's simple and succinct. It tells of an awful event orchestrated by the population, why it happened, and that it was wrong. It's a simple history lesson for the citizens of Lisbon and the world. Why is something like this so difficult to do in our country?

Why can’t they teach our history and explain that we are a great country because we have the power to change?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why can’t they teach our history and explain that we are a great country because we have the power to change?

Or an many cases, have already changed.

We've shown we can improve.  We should teach that we can keep going.  It's a shame that a large chunk of the voting population has associated "progress" with dems and something that should be avoided.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1