** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost calls his offensive plays.  He was preparing Walters to call plays in a couple games this year when Frost's baby was about to be born.

It will be interesting how long Frost will want to call plays in his coaching tenure.  I am sure he enjoys doing it, but I wonder if there will be a time where he wants to oversee more of the program.

I hope he always call plays. Osborne did. It keeps the offense stable regardless of who steals our OC's. Look at ohio state. Thats why their offense goes up and down depending on the year. Meyer doesnt call the plays anymore. So if you hire a crap guy like Tim Beck you suffer.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Do you have some inside info I don't about Troy Walters' genius? Or do Nebraska just hate their OC so much that even if all Walters does is not obstruct the offense, it's still a massive improvement?

Our OC is very bad.  Anything would be an improvement.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost calls his offensive plays.  He was preparing Walters to call plays in a couple games this year when Frost's baby was about to be born.

It will be interesting how long Frost will want to call plays in his coaching tenure.  I am sure he enjoys doing it, but I wonder if there will be a time where he wants to oversee more of the program.

I thought it was established that in order to be a finalist for the Broyles award, an OC or DC had to call plays.  And Walters is/was a nominee.

I never have understood why, if the HC is going to call plays, there still is an OC on the staff.  The OC is going to formulate the game plan through the week and go through the thought process of how to attack the defense.  That should be done by the guy who is actually calling the plays...(with input from others).

So, why have an OC if the HC is going to basically do the job?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I never have understood why, if the HC is going to call plays, there still is an OC on the staff.  The OC is going to formulate the game plan through the week and go through the thought process of how to attack the defense.  That should be done by the guy who is actually calling the plays...(with input from others).

So, why have an OC if the HC is going to basically do the job?

I am sure there is alot of duties in the job description for OC. The OC would still do everything else but call the plays on game day. Some people have a gift for calling plays in the moment on the fly. That talent should never go to waste.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I hope he always call plays. Osborne did. It keeps the offense stable regardless of who steals our OC's. Look at ohio state. Thats why their offense goes up and down depending on the year. Meyer doesnt call the plays anymore. So if you hire a crap guy like Tim Beck you suffer.

I hope he does too. Tom knew exactly what was going on offensively and could make changes on the spot instead of waiting until halftime!  He could trust his DC to do the same. Those teams were well oiled machines because their head coach was so deeply involved in  the game. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Did Meyer or Dan Mullen call the offensive plays at Florida?  I always thought it was Mullen.  Either way, coaches can be successful calling plays and not calling plays.

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't know.  Nor do I know what role Frost has him play in recruiting.  Don't really care.  The guy can coach and players will want to be part of that offense

I'm with you.  I understand recruiting is important, but that seems to be the first thing fans look to with assistant coaches.  I would rather have the coaches be successful at developing players and know how to game plan and coach during games.

• Plus1 3