Do we still miss the Big 12?

Dansker

33 minutes ago, Redux said:

Could someone with greatwr searching abilities than I possibly link all the threads titled "Do we miss the Big 12" or anything closely resembling that?  I feel that would answer the question.

And also, no....I don't.  Being in a league with Rutgers and Maryland is weird, sure.  But what would we be going back to?  A 10 team conference with a weirdo round robin schedule but still plays a title game that includes a trip to West Virginia every other year.  If that doesn't make you cringe...

It'd be interesting to do that and see the change in perceptions over the last 8+ years.  This is the most "no" of these threads that I can remember.

Just now, knapplc said:

It'd be interesting to do that and see the change in perceptions over the last 8+ years.  This is the most "no" of these threads that I can remember.

That nostalgia would wear off pretty quickly when everyone realizes we're juat swapping Illinois, Purdue and Rutgers for Kansas, Iowa State and West Virginia.  Hardly worth the decrease in revenue to tuck our tail between our legs so we can play Oklahoma instead of Ohio State just to please the fans who can't get over a bunch of teams that stabbed us in the back and almost none of which considered us a rival in the first place.

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

When we win our first conference title in over 20 years under the direction of Scott Frost, we will be happy it is a Big 10 championship.

Yes,  -  it will have more significance than the big 12. 

The only think I miss about the big 12 were games in Stillwater and Norman - close to me in Tulsa.  I haven't made it to a NU game since the last time they played in Stillwater - the TM is also a passer show - which we won in a wild shootout.

Answer to thread - STOPdedhoarse

• Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

When we win our first conference title in over 20 years under the direction of Scott Frost, we will be happy it is a Big 10 championship.

Totally agree. It'll mean we're the best team out of a whole host of great teams.

I do miss the old emotions and the feel of playing the old rivals. I missed it a lot during the first three seasons after we moved to the B1G but miss the Big 12 less now.

What I probably find most regretful looking back on the past decade is how we were actually very close to winning the final two Big 12 championships. In 2009, if Colt McCoy scrambles for another second on the clock, there's that one. And then in the last Big 12 title game of the era in 2010 we were leading Oklahoma at halftime and failed to put any more points on the board and missed that one also. 

Those two games are super painful to look back on. Would have been so amazing to go out on top when we left.

• Fire 1

I think Superconferences killed a lot of college football identity, and that includes the Big 12, which absorbed the Texas schools from the old Southwest conference. Texans don't think of themselves as midwesterners. They think of themselves as Texans. That didn't really work out for anybody. If you miss anything, it's the old Big 8. 7 schools shared a culture. Colorado not so much, but that made them fun to beat. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I miss the Big 8 not the Big 12.  Texas ruined everything for everyone.  Now Texas is all hat and no cattle.  They deserve where they are at.

^This.  And what we feel is nostalgia. However, there is no escaping that we were a big fish in a small pond. The Big 10 is a much bigger "pond" and when we achieve being a big fish in that pond, we will have accomplished more than we could ever have in the Big8 or Big 10.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I have copies of all the articles detailing how Iowa State & Kansas State, upset that Nebraska had become a dominant national power, conspired with the refugees from the SWC (that Texas destroyed) to screw Nebraska. 

The last 20 years of Husker history is a direct result of all of that.  I have zero desire to go back to a conference whose primary members pulled that S against us, and it's good to see that so few people are in the "go back" camp.

The Big XII is the least stable of the P5 conferences. No other P5 conference has had a team defect to another conference in the past 20 years.  The Big XII has had four teams leave. 

You don't leave a healthy relationship.  Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri & Texas A&M weren't wrong for getting away.  It's crazy that Oklahoma stayed, to be honest.

I agree with what you're saying, but Maryland defected from the ACC.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

That nostalgia would wear off pretty quickly when everyone realizes we're juat swapping Illinois, Purdue and Rutgers for Kansas, Iowa State and West Virginia.  Hardly worth the decrease in revenue to tuck our tail between our legs so we can play Oklahoma instead of Ohio State just to please the fans who can't get over a bunch of teams that stabbed us in the back and almost none of which considered us a rival in the first place.

I GET THE COMPARISON, BUT I DON'T THINK I'D COMPARE WEST VIRGINIA TO ILLINOIS, PURDUE OR RUTGERS ATM.