The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Players can catch COVID safely? Tell that nonsense to Emmanuel Sanders

If you didn’t see the story about Ryquell Armstead, the 23-year-old running back for the Jacksonville Jaguars, who had his season cut short because he was hospitalized twice with severe breathing issues, then maybe you’ll pay attention to the words of Saints receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

Sanders tested positive for COVID on Oct. 22 and will miss at least two games as he fights the virus — but after what he said on Uninterrupted’s ”17 Weeks” podcast, football should be the least of his worries.

“It feels like we’re glitchy,” Sanders said on the podcast. “Like when I’m walking it feels like if my wife was to talk to me, it feels like I’m skipping a beat every now and then. It’s like the weirdest s#!t ever.”

The veteran wideout said his wife, Gabriella Waheed, also tested positive and lost her senses of taste and smell.

Sanders went on to describe his own symptoms: Body aches, “weird, loopy-like feelings,” nausea, and a 102-degree fever.

I just got back from a week in Lincoln, trying to get my dad in hospice care. So I was coming back to a COVID hotspot and physically entering multiple senior care facilities that housed the most vulnerable populations.

At my parent's senior independent living facility, the man who drives the van for the residents came up to me, pulled down his mask so I could see his smiling face, then extended his bare hand for the first handshake I've had in seven months. Then he got inches away from my 93 year old father's face -- maskless -- to tell him how great it was to see him. Two days later, on the  supposedly "no visitors" ward at Eastmont, a senior level hospice worker gave me my second bare hand handshake in 7 months. 

The young Senior Care workers who were coming in and out of 8 hour shifts at my parents apartment 24/7 mostly wore masks, but some didn't and others let them slip. I asked if mask-wearing wasn't absolutely mandated by their large senior care employer, and one of them told me it's really up to the client -- the often dottering and attention starved seniors -- to ask them to wear a mask. Or not. My last night in Lincoln there was a tenants meeting at the Independent Living facility -- 20 elderly people with in-and-out privileges sitting in a small room, not a single mask between them. 

Strict COVID orders were posted everywhere, and my brother and I were warned about the higher levels of caution we were about to face in skilled nursing care, but we saw almost none of it in action. Hy-Vee had much better compliance. 

These are all lovely people.  I genuinely like the Nebraska-friendly vibe , and totally appreciate them bending the rules so I could say goodbye to my father, but wow --- 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I just got back from a week in Lincoln, trying to get my dad in hospice care. So I was coming back to a COVID hotspot and physically entering multiple senior care facilities that housed the most vulnerable populations.

At my parent's senior independent living facility, the man who drives the van for the residents came up to me, pulled down his mask so I could see his smiling face, then extended his bare hand for the first handshake I've had in seven months. Then he got inches away from my 93 year old father's face -- maskless -- to tell him how great it was to see him. Two days later, on the  supposedly "no visitors" ward at Eastmont, a senior level hospice worker gave me my second bare hand handshake in 7 months. 

The young Senior Care workers who were coming in and out of 8 hour shifts at my parents apartment 24/7 mostly wore masks, but some didn't and others let them slip. I asked if mask-wearing wasn't absolutely mandated by their large senior care employer, and one of them told me it's really up to the client -- the often dottering and attention starved seniors -- to ask them to wear a mask. Or not. My last night in Lincoln there was a tenants meeting at the Independent Living facility -- 20 elderly people with in-and-out privileges sitting in a small room, not a single mask between them. 

Strict COVID orders were posted everywhere, and my brother and I were warned about the higher levels of caution we were about to face in skilled nursing care, but we saw almost none of it in action. Hy-Vee had much better compliance. 

These are all lovely people.  I genuinely like the Nebraska-friendly vibe , and totally appreciate them bending the rules so I could say goodbye to my father, but wow --- 

Even asking totally with it people to tell someone else to wear a mask is really an unfair way to go about it. People tend to be non confrontational. They should assume all their clients want them to wear masks, not the other way around.

Bold prediction.

Biden becomes President in late January, there is a bit more cohesive federal response to COVID, the Spring of 2021 brings a substantial decline in cases regardless of individual state mandates, and the conservative base will serve it up as evidence that Democrats were controlling the coronavirus for political purposes all along. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bold prediction.

Biden becomes President in late January, there is a bit more cohesive federal response to COVID, the Spring of 2021 brings a substantial decline in cases regardless of individual state mandates, and the conservative base will serve it up as evidence that Democrats were controlling the coronavirus for political purposes all along. 

Of course they will. It can't possibly have been Trump or the GOP's fault when it was bad and the Democrats can't possibly do anything good.

I would encourage everyone to watch a documentary that is on Hulu, Totally Under Control. It is fairly detailed and chronological account of our governments response to the pandemic. It didn't reveal a bunch of new information, for anyone who has been paying attention, but it does present a much clearer and holistic overview due to being presented in chronological order from the POV of doctors and the scientific community.

Trump supporters probably will not like it and will be inventing ways to claim it is biased. I don't feel it was slanted in the least. If you're afraid to watch it or refuse to watch it, you simply like being misinformed and lied to. And if that doesn't set off alarms on your objectivity, you're probably beyond help.

It quite frankly is maybe the most damning evidence of this administration's total and complete ineptitude and malfeasance that I have seen yet. Trump supporters, watch it if you're brave enough. If you like the alternate reality you have created and allowed to burgeon, you should probably avoid it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bold prediction.

Let me ask this. 

what is Biden going to do?

In my opinion, we are past the ability to have a well organized national effort.  Trump screwed it up do bad and has convinced enough people that it’s all a hoax that I just don’t see any ability to get the vast majority of Americans to go along with anything to fight it.  

The time to do that was this summer.  That ship has sailed.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask this. 

what is Biden going to do?

In my opinion, we are past the ability to have a well organized national effort.  Trump screwed it up do bad and has convinced enough people that it’s all a hoax that I just don’t see any ability to get the vast majority of Americans to go along with anything to fight it.  

The time to do that was this summer.  That ship has sailed.  

Having Biden in charge will help ensure that the scientists are behind any decisions related to vaccine(s).

As far as controlling the pandemic, you may be right, but Biden will listen to the scientists if they have ideas and that is enough for me and already makes him better than Trump.