Nebraska & Coach Frost under NCAA investigation

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

I have a sinking feeling that this is all being done at the behest of the tippy top of NU.  Moos being pushed out not to long ago reaks of a timely agenda.  This now coming out weeks before the season starts via 'self reporting'.  Why now?  Why not wait until the season starts to minimize media/fan focus?  Starting to look like this is all pre-planned by the uppers.  They may very well have enough evidence to void their contract with Frost and not pay him a penny after letting him go.  Would of had this evidence when they got video of him practicing with the team last summer at High School field during the covid lock-down.  Breaking both NCAA rules and University rules would easily void his contract and would be bullet proof in court.  Was probably a calculated move to see how Frost would fair in the covid season and as things were pretty much the same as the prior two years, the decision was made to move on.  The only question now being when.  I don't think this is just a Frost problem, but an athletic program problem as well.  Trev was hired to clean house and clean house he will.  Notice how nobody was proclaiming Trev was going to be the next AD?  Perhaps the leakers were feed false info (Edward Stewart) to flush them out?  If Trev was pre-selected long ago, you can bet your backside our next HC is also pretty much a done deal.  With Frost trying to get out of the OU game and a wood shed experience coming whether we have Frost or not, I am willing to bet the top brass slow feed the fanbase the details of this scandal until the OU blowout loss and then after that game announce Frost is being let go.  An interim coach would be selected to run the show the rest of the season and the newly already selected HC will be announced in the final week of the season.

So based on this theory of yours, is that what you hope happened and want to happen? Cause I'll be honest with you man, if this whole panties all twisted up thing is about wins and losses, I expected when Nebraska first hired Frost it was going to take many years to get this football program back on track. And this whole investigation is the dumbest thing ever and isn't worth an excuse to firing a coach over. Just to start all over again. 

Maybe my opinion will change some as the season gets going and the results we see on the field.  But my excuse wont be because of this idiotic investigation. I'm telling ya. If this team starts winning, lots of folks who want Frost gone over this are going to shut up in a hurry over it.

So let's just wait and see what happens on the field first shall we. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, Bledred said:

I have a sinking feeling that this is all being done at the behest of the tippy top of NU.  Moos being pushed out not to long ago reaks of a timely agenda.  This now coming out weeks before the season starts via 'self reporting'.  Why now?  Why not wait until the season starts to minimize media/fan focus?  Starting to look like this is all pre-planned by the uppers.  They may very well have enough evidence to void their contract with Frost and not pay him a penny after letting him go.  Would of had this evidence when they got video of him practicing with the team last summer at High School field during the covid lock-down.  Breaking both NCAA rules and University rules would easily void his contract and would be bullet proof in court.  Was probably a calculated move to see how Frost would fair in the covid season and as things were pretty much the same as the prior two years, the decision was made to move on.  The only question now being when.  I don't think this is just a Frost problem, but an athletic program problem as well.  Trev was hired to clean house and clean house he will.  Notice how nobody was proclaiming Trev was going to be the next AD?  Perhaps the leakers were feed false info (Edward Stewart) to flush them out?  If Trev was pre-selected long ago, you can bet your backside our next HC is also pretty much a done deal.  With Frost trying to get out of the OU game and a wood shed experience coming whether we have Frost or not, I am willing to bet the top brass slow feed the fanbase the details of this scandal until the OU blowout loss and then after that game announce Frost is being let go.  An interim coach would be selected to run the show the rest of the season and the newly already selected HC will be announced in the final week of the season.

I think you have your tinfoil hat on just a litte bit too tight.  The top brass as you call them are almost fully responsible for the state of Nebraska football.  If any of what you just posted happens, I've gotta say I will gladly hand in my fan card.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Are media guys at the point to hoping there is more so they have a job? 

good story lines out of Lincoln are dwindling. 

Maybe not enough fans are drinking the pre-season kool-aid that they've been able to write and sell us for the past 20 years. They are likely confused as to whether or not the fanbase is simply apathetic now to the mediocrity or subpar performances, or we are content riding this thing out with Frost and aren't that into how the off-season is going because we are comfortable riding this out with Frost and figure things will be shown on the field. Either way, I am sure both produce lower click rates.

17 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

There are none of us, or very few anyway, who are happy with the way the games have played out since Scott came back home. This had all the marks of a return to football legitimacy for Nebraska and by a favorite son. Tom Osborne filled that bill too. TO delivered wins and Scott hasn't done that yet. We all hope that this is Scott's Oklahoma moment. Remember the stories of people wanting TO out because he couldn't beat Oklahoma. Well, Scott has had a mishap with Oklahoma too. Hopefully, Scott will do what TO did and will turn this around and get us winning a lot of games again. Then we can all forget this.. But if this season goes bad, and we get the feeling that the UofN is deliberately undermining Scott and trying to get rid of him without paying the man the money they promised in the contract, then forget about Nebraska ever being good again, at least not for a very long time. You can't stab your own guy in the back like that. It just can't happen. People said no one would come here because of what we did to Frank. A few said something of the kind with Bo's firing. Nine wins aren't good enough? And then coaches wouldn't want the pressure. Coaches live for and under pressure, so long as the admin has their back. If that's not the case, Nebraska won't attract anyone to coach this program. Bank on that.

What we did to Frank Solich didn't really affect whether good coaches would come here or not. Bill Callahan was the first external hire at NU in 40 years, and we learned that the most sought after coaches didn't consider Nebraska the dream job we assumed it was, regardless of the relatively modest salary we offered. 

Perleman, Eichorst, Bo, and Riley are gone. We got the AD and HC we wanted. With Moos' awkward exit and Frost's poor performance and PR mishaps, there might be a little fire to go with the smoke. It might not be backstabbing. Just a lack of coherent leadership when the program needs it most. If Frost's fingerprints are on these minor infractions, and he turns in another poor season, he will be on a very hot seat --- as he would be with every other program Nebraska wants to be. 

If you are on the outside looking at the state of Nebraska football, it wouldn't really occur to you that the University doesn't have Scott Frost's back. The state of Nebraska football can only be demonstrated on the field, and Scott and his players completely control that narrative. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-texas-am-mens-basketball-program-committed-ncaa-violations

The report contains the full list of penalties as approved by the Committee on Infractions, including:

• Two years of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine.
  • A reduction in men's basketball official visits for the 2021-22 academic year by five.
  • A suspension of unofficial visits during the first three Southeastern Conference men's basketball games during the 2021-22 academic year.
  • A reduction in men's basketball recruiting days by 5% (7 days out of 130) during the 2021-22 academic year.
  • A two-game suspension (during the regular season) for the head coach at Texas A&M or any school that employs him.
  • A suspension of the assistant coach, self-imposed by the university, June 2020 through the end of the 2020-21 basketball season. During that suspension, the program operated with one fewer assistant coach than allowed under NCAA rules.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What we did to Frank Solich didn't really affect whether good coaches would come here or not.

Urban Meyer referenced Solich's firing when he explained why he didn't take the Nebraska job.

LINK

In 2011, the Omaha World-Herald's Sam McKewon sat down for a two-part Q&A session with Urban Meyer (via HuskerBoard.com). The ESPN analyst (at that time) didn't hold back when McKewon asked him about Nebraska and 2003:

We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is.

• Plus1 2

The Urban quote referenced by knapplc is something to think about for sure. It's not about why you fire a coach as much as it is about how you do the firing and what you do next.

For the health of the program, you should fire a coach when there is definite cause to do so. And you should have a plan as to where you are going to go and who you are going to hire next before you pull the trigger (at least in most cases, unless your coach is Jerry Sandusky or something like that).

When Frank was fired, the thing happened because of where the program might be going, to mediocracy, instead of what was  happening, nine win seasons. Those 9 and 10 win seasons aren't all bad. And then we didn't even have an idea of where we were going next. Bad move on both.

When T.O. took over, Bill was done. And the team gave up because everyone knew it. Not ideal. He wasn't the greatest coach, but he was put in an almost impossible situation when T.O. walked in as AD.

When Bo got the gate, we are pretty sure it was because SE didn't like him, and not because of what was going on in terms of wins and losses. Maybe the sideline Bo was the sticking point for SE, but he fired a winning coach and then didn't have a plan to move forward at all.

Mike Riley, like Bo, was a dead man walking as soon as Moos was hired. The writing was on the wall there. Not ideal. Hard to coach and get wins when the program is pretty much decided you are gone just a few games into the season.

Now Scott. In many cases, he would already be gone. Two years, Nine wins. And this was after we were told that we wanted  a program where nine wins in a single year would not be good enough to some folks. And so you try to take his money on the way out. That's worse that Frank. Worse than Bill. Worse than Bo. Worse than Mike.

All those guys were supposed to be not good enough, but at least the program paid their salary on the way out. 

A risk is undertaken with these things. You hire a guy who you think will succeed. He might. He might not. But it's a gamble. An educated gamble in a lot of cases, but still a gamble.

if Scott doesn't start winning and gets the door, he should get the money he was contracted to receive. Pulling some bull behind the scenes is just rotten. And if guys like Urban were turned off by the nine win thing, they'll definitely be turned off by this thing.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
56 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

The Urban quote referenced by knapplc is something to think about for sure. It's not about why you fire a coach as much as it is about how you do the firing and what you do next.

For the health of the program, you should fire a coach when there is definite cause to do so. And you should have a plan as to where you are going to go and who you are going to hire next before you pull the trigger (at least in most cases, unless your coach is Jerry Sandusky or something like that).

When Frank was fired, the thing happened because of where the program might be going, to mediocracy, instead of what was  happening, nine win seasons. Those 9 and 10 win seasons aren't all bad. And then we didn't even have an idea of where we were going next. Bad move on both.

When T.O. took over, Bill was done. And the team gave up because everyone knew it. Not ideal. He wasn't the greatest coach, but he was put in an almost impossible situation when T.O. walked in as AD.

When Bo got the gate, we are pretty sure it was because SE didn't like him, and not because of what was going on in terms of wins and losses. Maybe the sideline Bo was the sticking point for SE, but he fired a winning coach and then didn't have a plan to move forward at all.

Mike Riley, like Bo, was a dead man walking as soon as Moos was hired. The writing was on the wall there. Not ideal. Hard to coach and get wins when the program is pretty much decided you are gone just a few games into the season.

Now Scott. In many cases, he would already be gone. Two years, Nine wins. And this was after we were told that we wanted  a program where nine wins in a single year would not be good enough to some folks. And so you try to take his money on the way out. That's worse that Frank. Worse than Bill. Worse than Bo. Worse than Mike.

All those guys were supposed to be not good enough, but at least the program paid their salary on the way out. 

A risk is undertaken with these things. You hire a guy who you think will succeed. He might. He might not. But it's a gamble. An educated gamble in a lot of cases, but still a gamble.

if Scott doesn't start winning and gets the door, he should get the money he was contracted to receive. Pulling some bull behind the scenes is just rotten. And if guys like Urban were turned off by the nine win thing, they'll definitely be turned off by this thing.

You had me roped in and with you all the way until the last point.  If there is crap being dug up and shared about Frost, so be it.  If it is used to not pay out his contract if he is let go, so be it too.  That is precisely why contracts have clauses and contingencies written into them.  Just like the coach gets a golden parachute if he fails, the University has one too if the coach is let go for breaking one or multiple clauses in the contract.  Both parties are fully aware of these going in and it should work both ways, not just in the coaches favor.

• Plus1 1