What did we learn? NIU Edition

It's obvious the defense is Nebraska's strength, so the offense needs to help the defense more by not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and better 1st down efficiency. Way too many times during the Northern Illinois game where, imo poor play calling, ended with the offense with a 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 15. There's nothing wrong with gaining 3 yards on 1st and 10. But playing with 2nd and long is going to hurt against better competition. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

It's obvious the defense is Nebraska's strength, so the offense needs to help the defense more by not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and better 1st down efficiency. Way too many times during the Northern Illinois game where, imo poor play calling, ended with the offense with a 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 15. There's nothing wrong with gaining 3 yards on 1st and 10. But playing with 2nd and long is going to hurt against better competition. 

This.  Plus I think Sat’s sometimes erratic play calling makes it difficult for the O line to get into any rhythm.   I certainly felt that way with Frost at the helm.  If we’re moving the ball stop with the fancy stuff on first down.  

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Polar Bear is showing the potential of becoming the next SUH that I thought he could be when he was recruited. Yes big shoes to fill and he may not get to that level but he is showing the potential to be our next great DL   

Maybe the next Jared Crick. SUH?! 

• TBH 2

How about we let Hutmacher be the next him for a year before labeling him the next greatest interior d lineman college football has seen in decades! 

Also, I agree with the poster who talked about first down management.  Too often the offensive is playing behind the sticks on first down and it’s hard for the players to overcome that.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
20 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

This.  Plus I think Sat’s sometimes erratic play calling makes it difficult for the O line to get into any rhythm.   I certainly felt that way with Frost at the helm.  If we’re moving the ball stop with the fancy stuff on first down.  

I'll probably have to go back and find the exact drive, but the only drive that really made me pull my hair out was sometime in the third quarter and it was one of the scenarios where it felt like we had some momentum/opportunities going in the run game only to see Satterfield call two passes on first and second down that were just poorly executed, got behind the sticks on third down and they had to punt.

That said, I try to judge play calling based on the situation vs. the execution. For example, a first down pass looks great when the QB makes a good read, the WR runs a good route, WR makes a catch, exposes a weakness in the defense and picks up 15 yards. The play call looks awful when one or two of those things don't go well and it's 2nd and 10. Overall I think Satterfield has done a decent job, but I would like to see us being a bit more OK with gaining 3-4 yards on 1st and 2nd down to get into 3rd and manageable situations.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, mwj98 said:

I watched the game again. The air left the stadium after the fumble. You could sense the “here we go again” feeling. 

one thing I can not get out of my head was watching Rhule (aka lizard man) lick his lips. My wife pointed that out. Now I can’t unsee it. Haha! 

GBR!!

Dry mouth due to nerves.  

5 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

That Fidone thought we were playing an away game? What was with shushing the fans on that TD? Silencing the haters maybe? I dunno it was weird. 

Apparently he took exception to something Omaha radio guy Josh Peterson said. They had a brief exchange on the twitter earlier this month.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Frost & crew couldn't recruit - poor OL & no quality Wr's.

Frost recruited talent just fine, it's the retention (especially at WR) and development parts that he was godawful at.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 3

38 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'll probably have to go back and find the exact drive, but the only drive that really made me pull my hair out was sometime in the third quarter and it was one of the scenarios where it felt like we had some momentum/opportunities going in the run game only to see Satterfield call two passes on first and second down that were just poorly executed, got behind the sticks on third down and they had to punt.

That said, I try to judge play calling based on the situation vs. the execution. For example, a first down pass looks great when the QB makes a good read, the WR runs a good route, WR makes a catch, exposes a weakness in the defense and picks up 15 yards. The play call looks awful when one or two of those things don't go well and it's 2nd and 10. Overall I think Satterfield has done a decent job, but I would like to see us being a bit more OK with gaining 3-4 yards on 1st and 2nd down to get into 3rd and manageable situations.

I had the same feeling during that series. We've established the run and basically shown we're going to keep pounding the rock, so why did we go with 2 straight passes??? Know thy self!