The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

35 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don’t discount this research but it kind of makes me shake my head.

Lets agree that natural immunity is better. How does a person get that?

Are we really putting forth an argument that it’s better to get the virus and all of its potential effects for 90% immunity in the future vs getting a shot that gives us 75% immunity?  When hospitals are begging us to stay healthy? 

How does that make sense?

I think the point is more of people who already had the infection should potentially be treated the same  restriction wise  as those who have had the vaccine. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think the point is more of people who already had the infection should potentially be treated the same  restriction wise  as those who have had the vaccine. 

And I can get that.

But it just seems to me that these numbers are brought up in conversations about how effective the vaccines are.  

• Plus1 2
On 9/10/2021 at 8:13 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.  As an employer, I'm trying to figure out everything we would need to do. Are we required to have testing available?  What kind of records do we need to keep?  How do we handle it if employees refuse to get the vaccine or get tested?

If this goes through, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Concerns are Legit. 

What you gone do??  I feel for you brother, lots of questions. 

But you pretty smart.   I know you gone handle it. 

Keep up us informed yo

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Agree, it is harder to track than a vaccine is the only problem. You can't rely on peoples word. I tested negative twice for COVID then had antibodies a couple weeks later. My wife had it and didn't test positive for antibodies. Just tougher to track than 'did you have a shot'.  Hopefully once we get through delta we don't have to worry about restrictions or any of this s#!t, really. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Agree, it is harder to track than a vaccine is the only problem. You can't rely on peoples word. I tested negative twice for COVID then had antibodies a couple weeks later. My wife had it and didn't test positive for antibodies. Just tougher to track than 'did you have a shot'.  Hopefully once we get through delta we don't have to worry about restrictions or any of this s#!t, really. 

I think Delta’s biggest strength is also going to be its weakness in the end.  It’s much more virulent but that will cause it to burn itself out pretty fast and hopefully prevent some other dominant strain taking over.  Need to help get the underdeveloped countries up to speed with vaccines before we do booster shots for anyone under 60 in my opinion.  

• Plus1 1

I give The Atlantic some s#!t for their deeply slanted political reporting, but they have had good COVID related reporting.  I found this article to be interesting on hospital admission data.  I always assumed Hospital data was a good indicator of how much severe disease was out their. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/covid-hospitalization-numbers-can-be-misleading/620062/

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think Delta’s biggest strength is also going to be its weakness in the end.  It’s much more virulent but that will cause it to burn itself out pretty fast and hopefully prevent some other dominant strain taking over.  Need to help get the underdeveloped countries up to speed with vaccines before we do booster shots for anyone under 60 in my opinion.  

Agreed, but it will probably be politically unpopular to spend money helping to vaccinate underdeveloped countries.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I give The Atlantic some s#!t for their deeply slanted political reporting, but they have had good COVID related reporting.  I found this article to be interesting on hospital admission data.  I always assumed Hospital data was a good indicator of how much severe disease was out their. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/covid-hospitalization-numbers-can-be-misleading/620062/

I think The Atlantic has forged its own distinctive slant. Sometimes they lean libertarian, sometimes they do pieces that shred liberal conventional wisdom, and obviously they were smart enough to see through Trump. They like being highbrow s#!t-disturbers. Whatever opinions you may sniff, the reporting itself is solid and vetted. 

• Plus1 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/09/02/unvaccinated-teens-10x-more-likely-to-end-up-in-hospital-with-covid-cdc-director-says/amp/

The data presented by Walensky follows a record-breaking month for coronavirus-linked child hospitalizations in the U.S. The average number of children admitted to hospitals every day with Covid-19 was 330 between August 20 and August 26, a new record, according to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7036e2.htm

Hospitalization rates were 10 times higher among unvaccinated than among fully vaccinated adolescents.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e1.htm

Mild local and systemic reactions are common among adolescents following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and serious adverse events are rare. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices conducted a risk-benefit assessment and continues to recommend the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for all persons aged ≥12 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think The Atlantic has forged its own distinctive slant. Sometimes they lean libertarian, sometimes they do pieces that shred liberal conventional wisdom, and obviously they were smart enough to see through Trump. They like being highbrow s#!t-disturbers. Whatever opinions you may sniff, the reporting itself is solid and vetted. 

I've definitely found the Atlantic to be solid as well.  I have been unbelievably frustrated with how statistical data has been presented by the media in general in the past 18 months, but for the most part, I've found the Atlantic to be a good example of thoughtful opinion pieces and overall critical thinking. They also filled a huge informational gap when they launched the COVID Tracking project in March of 2020.

• Plus1 1