Who should our next HC be?

8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I don't agree with the analogy...  those first few weeks being single were some of the best.

That said,  I think Trev likely had strong interest in a coach or coaches but there really is no way to have one "lined up" in this industry. 

Just my two cents, but the search firm Trev hired worked with USC to land Lincoln Riley. These articles help explain what happened on USC's side with this firm and how the process worked. It can let you into the window of what has probably transpired in Lincoln as well. Now I do not believe for a minute that Lincoln Riley wasn't interested until the last 12 hours as I think that is BS and he knew. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2021-11-28/usc-trojans-hire-lincoln-riley

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/02/how-usc-landed-lincoln-riley-and-all-the-little-things-that-had-to-go-right/

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Just my two cents, but the search firm Trev hired worked with USC to land Lincoln Riley. These articles help explain what happened on USC's side with this firm and how the process worked. It can let you into the window of what has probably transpired in Lincoln as well. Now I do not believe for a minute that Lincoln Riley wasn't interested until the last 12 hours as I think that is BS and he knew. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2021-11-28/usc-trojans-hire-lincoln-riley

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/02/how-usc-landed-lincoln-riley-and-all-the-little-things-that-had-to-go-right/

Those were interesting reads. The timing seems suspect. 

Search firms have a lot of resources that organizations don't. Their use is much more time efficient. I've used them as an employee seeking to be matched. I imagine that a coaching search would be particularly exhausting. Also, logistics can largely be interpreted as confidentiality for both parties. And therein lies an explanation for the argument you are making in the case of Riley. 

47 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Well, I hope Trev pulls a rabbit out of the hat like USC did.

• Fire 1
35 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Just my two cents, but the search firm Trev hired worked with Lincoln Riley. This article explains what happened on USC's side with tis firm and how the process worked. It can let you into the window of what has probably transpired in Lincoln as well. Now I do not believe for a minute that Lincoln Riley wasn't interested until the last 12 hours as I think that is BS and he knew. 

I trust Trev A has done his due diligence in finding our new coach. It has been a minute since we have had an AD who doesn't appear to be a figurehead with his strings pulled like a puppet by the chancellor or so close to retirement he wouldn't put in the work necessary. It pains me to say it but the Huskers have been bottom feeders for too long. There are two or three coaches in the pool that I could live with. Hoping Trev and his choice can lead us out of this wilderness. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Do search firms look up canidates based on who they think is a good fit also with ones you want to have vetted.  

I think search firms have the following functions:

• Reach out to agents and coaches who the AD has identified as candidates of interest
  • Reach out to agents and coaches not identified by the AD to gauge potential interest in the job
  • Help the AD narrow down the list of original coaches of interest to a select few to interview/discuss the job
  • Do the behind the scenes work of setting up calls, phone interviews, in-person interviews, campus visits. etc.

They basically serve as a conduit between the AD and potential candidates.  It helps the AD maintain focus on his/her other work while also moving the coaching search along.

Just now, Stumpy1 said:

The whole Lincoln Riley to USC has me thinking that USC knew they would be coming to the B1G and that is why Riley took the job.  It was no secret that Riley and some of the top brass at OU wanted to join the B1G and not the SEC.  

USC definitely knew they were positioning to join the Big Ten in the near future, and they used that to lure Riley away from OU.

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Why don’t we spend about 300 pages debating who the next AD will be when Trev is fired?   I will suggest we start with a short list of possibilities:

Bob Devaney

Tom Osborne

Bill Byrne

Steve Pederson

Sean Eichorst

Bill Moss

Scott Frost

Noneof Theabove

My nominee:  Bill Busch

John Cook will be the next AD

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think search firms have the following functions:

• Reach out to agents and coaches who the AD has identified as candidates of interest
  • Reach out to agents and coaches not identified by the AD to gauge potential interest in the job
  • Help the AD narrow down the list of original coaches of interest to a select few to interview/discuss the job
  • Do the behind the scenes work of setting up calls, phone interviews, in-person interviews, campus visits. etc.

They basically serve as a conduit between the AD and potential candidates.  It helps the AD maintain focus on his/her other work while also moving the coaching search along.

I cant find the article now, but when I looked up the Lincoln Riley stuff it mentioned USC started with like 30 names of interest and used an analytics team to narrow it down to seven names. Those seven names were then vetted by the search firm I believe. 

Reading some bios on the search firm it appears they have every tool a hiring manager could want at their disposal. The names for AD and coaches that firm has hired is impressive. It is no wonder we haven't heard one legit rumor come out in regards to the search. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I find it interesting reading all of these takes about how Trev is doing such a good job and "I trust Trev!".  He has yet to hire any coach, let's see what happens.  This is more of the "I love former Huskers at all costs" mentality I feel like.  Same with Mickey and the "we must keep him for recruiting!".  He recruits WR primarily, which will not help us at all if we don't have Big Ten quality lines.  Does he recruit OL and DL too? If not, then it doesn't matter folks. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I find it interesting reading all of these takes about how Trev is doing such a good job and "I trust Trev!".  He has yet to hire any coach, let's see what happens.  This is more of the "I love former Huskers at all costs" mentality I feel like.  

You aren't being fair with this. If you can not look at Trev's body of work at UNO and the professionalism at which he handled himself there and combine it with the professionalism and intelligence he has displayed so far since coming on at UNL, you are intentionally choosing not to.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2