** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

My family has season tickets and I have them as well. I will not be going to a game next year if Riley is the coach. I truly think he is a great guy and wants to do well, but deep down I know he will never accomplish a NC let alone a CC. I have a lot of faith in Coach Frost as I remember my father telling me stories about how he was a man among boys in high school. My father was a coach close to the Wood River area at that time and watched him play. He is a beloved Husker and I will give him all the time he needs. I think the U has already contacted him and it’s a done deal. 

• Plus1 2

I can personally say there are too many of you worried Florida is going to get Scott Frost. He turned down offers from Oregon, Syracuse, and Maryland. Riley was a transitional hire which equals short term. Frost is the long term plan. Florida is focused on a handful of current Power 5 coaches from what I've been told.

However, something is going to happen in a couple weeks at DONU. If my source is correct and they have been before such as Bo being hired as HC months before it was announced in 2007, I expect Riley to get the pink slip following the Iowa game and for Scott Frost to be named the next head coach after UCF finishes it's regular season.

Edited by FTW
1 hour ago, FTW said:

He turned down offers from Oregon, Syracuse, and Maryland. Riley was a transitional hire which equals short term. Frost is the long term plan.

In regards to your first sentence, none of those are even in the same conversation as UF as far as ideal jobs.

in regards to your second, as far as anything we know publicly, that's entirely speculation and there's not any actual evidence to support it.

In regards to your source, I don't really have an opinion on that, other than I'm a pragmatist so I don't really buy in to things without the data to support them.

10 hours ago, FTW said:

I can personally say there are too many of you worried Florida is going to get Scott Frost. He turned down offers from Oregon, Syracuse, and Maryland. Riley was a transitional hire which equals short term. Frost is the long term plan. Florida is focused on a handful of current Power 5 coaches from what I've been told.

However, something is going to happen in a couple weeks at DONU. If my source is correct and they have been before such as Bo being hired as HC months before it was announced in 2007, I expect Riley to get the pink slip following the Iowa game and for Scott Frost to be named the next head coach after UCF finishes it's regular season.

Transitional as in an intentional stepping stone between BP and the next long term head coach? If that's the case, it kind of sucks that he has significantly altered the team's offensive philosophy, defensive philosophy and player recruiting strategy.

Frost is going to have his work cut out for him if he's the next head coach. But, really, any head coach that doesn't run a WCO and 3-4 will have a harder time than not, more than likely.

What is the team's identity on O/D?  I was just thinking that yesterday.  I dont think they have one, personally.  They haven't done any one thing particularly well.  New coach, whether it's Frost or some other dude, will (hopefully) GIVE them an identity -- mold the guys into something.  It will take time, but i think we understand that.  Focusing on fundamentals first will be the key to start the engine.

Yahoo's Pat Forde:

To the surprise of many, Butch outlasted Florida coach Jim McElwain (33), who was trap-doored Sunday during his third season. With Jones the most likely coach to follow McElwain out of his current position, The Dash offers three more whose jobs are in jeopardy.

Mike Riley (34), Nebraska. A furious fourth-quarter rally to beat Purdue certainly is preferable to NOT rallying to beat Purdue – but at 4-4 and bereft of quality wins, the third-year coach looks like the last year in Lincoln for Riley. But here’s the hitch: Cornhuskers fans who have been waiting for Central Florida coach Scott Frost to come home to his alma mater might well find him more interested in a shorter move – to Gainesville to replace McElwain. If that happens, Nebraska might be wise to go after …

Kevin Sumlin (35), Texas A&M. Yes, he could finish the season 9-3 – though that would require a complete reversal of recent November collapses. But regardless of record, it seems Sumlin’s time at A&M is done. The ugly fallout from that season-opening loss to UCLA pushed both sides to the breaking point. A guy with an 84-41 record and excellent recruiting ties in Texas will find another Power Five job.

Edited by Red Five
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FlipPhone said:

What is the team's identity on O/D?  I was just thinking that yesterday.  I dont think they have one, personally.  They haven't done any one thing particularly well.  New coach, whether it's Frost or some other dude, will (hopefully) GIVE them an identity -- mold the guys into something.  It will take time, but i think we understand that.  Focusing on fundamentals first will be the key to start the engine.

Good point. I think my word choice was a bit poor, too, as I meant philosophy more so than identity.

Either way, I agree that Nebraska doesn't have much of an identity offensively or defensively. I think I know what they want to do but they don't do it very well.

11 hours ago, FTW said:

This isn't really a stretch, to say the least, but it would make for a very happy early holiday season. :koolaid2:

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yahoo's Pat Forde:

To the surprise of many, Butch outlasted Florida coach Jim McElwain (33), who was trap-doored Sunday during his third season. With Jones the most likely coach to follow McElwain out of his current position, The Dash offers three more whose jobs are in jeopardy.

Mike Riley (34), Nebraska. A furious fourth-quarter rally to beat Purdue certainly is preferable to NOT rallying to beat Purdue – but at 4-4 and bereft of quality wins, the third-year coach looks like the last year in Lincoln for Riley. But here’s the hitch: Cornhuskers fans who have been waiting for Central Florida coach Scott Frost to come home to his alma mater might well find him more interested in a shorter move – to Gainesville to replace McElwain. If that happens, Nebraska might be wise to go after …

Kevin Sumlin (35), Texas A&M. Yes, he could finish the season 9-3 – though that would require a complete reversal of recent November collapses. But regardless of record, it seems Sumlin’s time at A&M is done. The ugly fallout from that season-opening loss to UCLA pushed both sides to the breaking point. A guy with an 84-41 record and excellent recruiting ties in Texas will find another Power Five job.

a) It's Pat Forde, and as a Mizzery alum, he's just enjoying the schadenfreude of the current situation and the potential schadenfreude of Frost eschewing Nebraska. Consider that when you read his columns. 

b) He does, however, make a good point about Sumlin who, with quality coaches around him, would do well. Not saying it's the best pick, but it would be a good plan B or C. 

• Plus1 1