Current Vegas Odds on our next Head Coach for 2018:

Scott Frost +150

Mike Riley +275

Chip Kelly +300

Matt Campbell +400

Dan Mullen +600

Les Miles +650

Kyle Whittingham +700

When odds came out in 2014 after Bo was fired (in order from best odds on top): Riley wasn't listed 

Scott Frost 

Greg Schiano

Tom Herman

Pat Narduzzi

Jim McElwwin

Jerry Kill

Matt Wells 

Now I understand. There was a crooked deal somewhere, and someone got rich by ensuring MR was hired. :D The odds of MR being hired must have been 10,000 to 1.  It is scary to see MR as #2 on the list this year.:bang

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why would people complain about his offense?  His offense is #1 in scoring and #5 in total offense in the country.  Explain to me how this is something that Husker fans would complain about.

Scott Frost has been running the kind of offense that typically gets derided around here as multiple, too cute and pass-happy. He enlists some of the same Chip Kelly techniques accused of being part of the dreaded WCO. On another thread people  are claiming the Oregon style offense requires speed, the kind we simply can't get here in the midwest. Last year, Scott Frost had UCF passing the ball even more than Mike Riley did at Nebraska. Scott Frost will call for a pass on 3rd and 2, even if the running game has been effective, because he sees the defense gunning for it. He will run more in some games, pass more in others, because he takes what the opponent gives him. Husker fans have complained this is NOT Husker football when practiced by guys like Langsdorf, Beck and Watson. 

Right now Scott Frost is winning. It makes a big difference.

But nobody would call Scott's offense vintage Nebraska football. And nobody will complain if it works. 

• Plus1 1
On 10/29/2017 at 9:18 AM, ladyhawke said:

Wow! Straight from Scott Frost’s mouth! Although this was from a 2012 interview but it left me hopeful. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/the-story-of-scott-frost-s-love-hate-relationship-with/article_d23a0bb0-ba7f-11e7-85a1-07e004b8e998.html

One bit that stood out to me:

His determination at that point to play for his teammates and coaches, not giving “2 cents” for the fans.

I wonder how many people who raged about Bo are reading that...

39 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Scott Frost has been running the kind of offense that typically gets derided around here as multiple, too cute and pass-happy. He enlists some of the same Chip Kelly techniques accused of being part of the dreaded WCO. On another thread people  are claiming the Oregon style offense requires speed, the kind we simply can't get here in the midwest. Last year, Scott Frost had UCF passing the ball even more than Mike Riley did at Nebraska. Scott Frost will call for a pass on 3rd and 2, even if the running game has been effective, because he sees the defense gunning for it. He will run more in some games, pass more in others, because he takes what the opponent gives him. Husker fans have complained this is NOT Husker football when practiced by guys like Langsdorf, Beck and Watson. 

Right now Scott Frost is winning. It makes a big difference.

But nobody would call Scott's offense vintage Nebraska football. And nobody will complain if it works. 

Frost ran the ball a higher % of plays last year than Riley actually. Just because his offense stays on the field and runs more plays per game, therefore has more attempts doesn't mean much. 

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Yes to some extent but MR has lowered the bar.  I think where MR lost me this year (as much as the NIU loss) was that Oregon and OSU games were over before halftime (completely embarrassing).  I don't think Frost solves much by wins-losses right away but I believe he will put a more competitive team on the field.  One that competes with OSU and beats Purdue soundly.    

I'm not sure how this works - if the Oregon game was over at halftime and we would have scored that last touchdown.  Would the refs just call it at that point or would have we still played the overtime?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Scott Frost has been running the kind of offense that typically gets derided around here as multiple, too cute and pass-happy.

This is true, and a good point. At the end of the day, people only complain when things don't work.

Frost's offense is actually pretty similar to Beck's in a lot of ways. Main difference being that Beck has a tough time consistently producing results with his, which ends up in way more criticism than any run/pass ratio ever will. I still remember the collective boner about the prospect of Beck's offense in the 2010-11 offseason around here - people were talking about it in very much the same way we talk about Frost's prospective Nebraska offense here.

24 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I sure hope Nebraska has reached out to Frost and talked to him because from what media sources on Twitter are saying there is a real good chance of Frost going to the Gators.

Me too BoneyardHusker.  I'm thinking they probably have but I also heard from media sources on Twitter that Florida has already talked with Willie Taggert.  I hope that's true!  I really don't think Scott will leave UCF for Florida.  Why?  He's got a good gig going where he is.  If I'm afraid of anything it would be that he would choose to stay where he is.  However, I'm hopeful that he will leave UCF for his 'dream job' which according to a 2012 interview is Nebraska.  Time will tell!

27 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I sure hope Nebraska has reached out to Frost and talked to him because from what media sources on Twitter are saying there is a real good chance of Frost going to the Gators.

If you are going to jump on every rumor/speculation Twitter spits out, you'll be on a heck of a roller coaster over the next month or so.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, Landlord said:

This is true, and a good point. At the end of the day, people only complain when things don't work.

Frost's offense is actually pretty similar to Beck's in a lot of ways. Main difference being that Beck has a tough time consistently producing results with his, which ends up in way more criticism than any run/pass ratio ever will. I still remember the collective boner about the prospect of Beck's offense in the 2010-11 offseason around here - people were talking about it in very much the same way we talk about Frost's prospective Nebraska offense here.

Your memory may be faulty http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/50206-tim-beck/&tab=comments#comment-733597  The only response to why Beck would be good is "Because he's not Watson..."   If you are trying to make people feel stupid for wanting a coach that has a top offense, try something else.

• Plus1 1

We better not be late to this party.

https://sports.yahoo.com/looking-offense-florida-gators-will-hire-one-three-coaches-044204837.html

So why Mullen or Frost? The timing and the tenor of the hiring hint first at Frost, who is the perceived leader and most likely to get the job. With Nebraska poised to fire Mike Riley and make a run at Frost, Florida’s pre-Halloween jettisoning of McElwain portends that they want an edge in the market. (Along with wanting to capitalize on the stupidity of McElwain’s “death threats” comments.) This is the same strategy former Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley used in outfoxing Notre Dame to hire Urban Meyer during the 2004 season.

Frost, 42, projects as having an elite ceiling. He has taken UCF from winless the year before his arrival to a bowl in his first season (6-7) and has them on a trajectory (7-0) to go undefeated this year. UCF leads the nation in scoring offense (51.0 ppg) by nearly five points per game. (Fittingly, Meyer’s Ohio State team is No. 2 with 46.3 points per game).

Don’t expect sentimentality to get in the way of Frost’s decision on his next job, as he’s a Nebraska graduate but is expected to take the job where he has the best chance to compete for a national title. That job is clearly Florida, which will be the best job in the market this year unless something truly stunning happens.

• Plus1 1

There is no sense in freaking out/handwringing over this.  Scott's going to do what's best for he and his new family, and his staff.  There is literally not one thing any of us can do about it, other than just hope and pray.  But, much like winning games, we can't will the team or a coach to win, and can not will our native son back home.  If it's still his dream job, then it will happen.  If not, he'll go where it suits him best.

• Plus1 1