Maurice Washington Faces Charges

25 minutes ago, AZ_Husker said:

He's been skipping classes and has been showing up to team meetings wreaking of weed. 

It seems like the coaches have gone out of their way to support him, fight for him and if he keeps pulling this, then it says all it needs to.

They clearly want it more than he does. 

Reminds me of some of the kids on "Last chance U". Mo is going to end up at some JUCO program realizing HE threw it all away.

I hope someone can get through to this young man and help him realize before its too late.

• Plus1 4

I never want to be right about these things but I alluded to some points over the summer that involved Mo. I didn't receive much pushback, but the point I made was that he's the kind of troubled kid who will only get in his way. I have dealt with a lot of players who share similar traits, and you just see the same cycle. With Mo, it's not a matter of if, but when.

It's very unfortunate and I know this staff is worried about reading headlines about him being arrested for serious time, or dead. When he was in Stockton, he ran with a crip gang there. There were many reasons for him going to Texas, but a lot of that decision was based on getting him away from trouble. It didn't matter though as he created more issues when he was there too. I do eventually see him off the team, and the only glimpse of hope he has is if he comes to Frost and admits he needs help, and will do anything he can. I imagine his teammates are sick of him, or at the very least could care less. That's also a point that Frost has to weigh as well. Just unfortunate for everyone involved. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I never want to be right about these things but I alluded to some points over the summer that involved Mo. I didn't receive much pushback, but the point I made was that he's the kind of troubled kid who will only get in his way. I have dealt with a lot of players who share similar traits, and you just see the same cycle. With Mo, it's not a matter of if, but when.

It's very unfortunate and I know this staff is worried about reading headlines about him being arrested for serious time, or dead. When he was in Stockton, he ran with a crip gang there. There were many reasons for him going to Texas, but a lot of that decision was based on getting him away from trouble. It didn't matter though as he created more issues when he was there too. I do eventually see him off the team, and the only glimpse of hope he has is if he comes to Frost and admits he needs help, and will do anything he can. I imagine his teammates are sick of him, or at the very least could care less. That's also a point that Frost has to weigh as well. Just unfortunate for everyone involved. 

A more talented Bobby Bruce honestly. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

58 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

A more talented Bobby Bruce honestly. 

Much more. Sometimes enough happens to a person where they cannot overcome it. He has had a tough life, and being that young presents a multitude of difficulty on his own.

So many see the wonderful opportunity in front of him, and would think playing college ball at the highest level is enough to keep a player straight. The reality is, that life begins to be a routine and the beauty of that life and process begins to fade; only to reemerge when said player has moved on. There is also an aspect that plays a huge part but never gets mentioned.

Players like Mo, who exhibit that kind of ability, but also have horrible judgement, are spoiled all throughout the process. They get their private tuition paid for because of their ability. These kids receive so many second and third chances by the time they are juniors in high school.  They get slaps on the wrist for possessing and selling drugs on campus. Someone is always there to pick up their slack so they can make millions playing football. In a lot of the cases that I was exposed to, this was one of the main drivers for piss poor decision making. 

I know some will see racial intimations in that text, but believe it or not, it wasn't overly particular when it came to race. It's just a difficult situation for everyone. All anybody wants to do is help. I hope he is able to overcome this. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
Just now, Vince R. said:

Much more. Sometimes enough happens to a person where they cannot overcome it. He has had a tough life, and being that young presents a multitude of difficulty on his own.

So many see the wonderful opportunity in front of him, and would think playing college ball at the highest level is enough to keep a player straight. The reality is, that life begins to be a routine and the beauty of that life and process begins to fade; only to reemerge when said player has moved on. There is also an aspect that plays a huge part but never gets mentioned.

Players like Mo, who exhibit that kind of ability, but also have horrible judgement, are spoiled all throughout the process. They get their private tuition paid for because of their ability. These kids receive so many second and third chances by the time they are juniors in high school.  They get slaps on the wrist for possessing and selling drugs on campus. Someone is always there to pick up their slack so they can make millions playing football. In a lot of the cases that I was exposed to, this was one of the main drivers for piss poor decision making. 

Oh I'm aware of all the above. I don't needs to get into the specifics of parenting etc. It's just a shame that someone with this talent let's it all slip away. 

I'm pretty bummed about this potentially being the end of Mo's career at NU.  I'm not mad at Frost, he's making the correct decision, based on Mo's actions.  It sounds like Frost is keeping it open for Mo to potentially return, but since that is up to Mo, I won't hold my breath on it.

For some reason, Mo has been my favorite player in a Husker uniform the past 2 years.  I know he's an immature knucklehead, but I loved watching him run with the ball in open field.  He just really entertained me to no end.  If this is the end at NU, I will have the memory of him breaking off the long runs against CU this year, and almost carrying NU to the victory that day.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm pretty bummed about this potentially being the end of Mo's career at NU.  I'm not mad at Frost, he's making the correct decision, based on Mo's actions.  It sounds like Frost is keeping it open for Mo to potentially return, but since that is up to Mo, I won't hold my breath on it.

For some reason, Mo has been my favorite player in a Husker uniform the past 2 years.  I know he's an immature knucklehead, but I loved watching him run with the ball in open field.  He just really entertained me to no end.  If this is the end at NU, I will have the memory of him breaking off the long runs against CU this year, and almost carrying NU to the victory that day.

Feel the same way.  Really sucks on so many levels.  

• Plus1 1

First, any "bad press" is coming from Iowa fans and it's almost out of artificial rivalry banter. The national media wont run with any story because we aren't relevant in any sense to make this into a big story, no matter what story comes of all this, if any. If there is a story, it's going to be written up by some Iowa person trying to throw shade at a program that they remember dominated the Midwest, and therefore, their program, for the last 50 years. 

With that, and making absolutely zero excuses for young adults making the bad decision after bad decision, I would venture to guess most of us typing here on this forum come from a rather decent upbringing and have carried that into our adult lives. Things have probably been pretty cookie cutter for the most part for all of us. Unfortunately there are people out there who are not as fortunate as many of us and haven't had it as easy as most of us have. Some of these players in college are not dealt the best of hands growing up and sometimes playing athletics is their opportunity to leave behind the difficulties they had growing up. Sometimes athletics and having a coach and teammates is the first structure in some of these young adults lives. Some of these players have had to grow up far faster than any child should, and grow up without having that structure and guidance.

Reading Coach Frost's comments about it, I am glad Frost has that approach. Some of these young men need sports, need coaches, need teammates. If coaches took a holier than thou approach and kicked a player off at the first wrong doing then they'd be doing that individual no favors. It did seem while Washington was on the team Frost did hold him accountable, and did try to teach him lessons, all awhile giving him all the tools, resources, and opportunities to change his behavior, and most importantly provided him structure and support to be there and help him grow as a person.

I don't agree with Washington's actions or behaviors, but I understand why Frost kept him around. Coaches have a far more important role in these players lives than just teaching them X's and O's, they have to teach them in their most critical times how to navigate through life, and in some cases how to teach them from being a young man to a man. A college coach wears many hats from being a coach, mentor, counselor, role model, etc. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/20/2019 at 2:25 PM, WildBillMoos said:

Washington can torch former AG Bruning and by association Davison on his way out if he so chooses. That’ll probably come to light anyways when his Nebraska AD-assigned attorney suddenly bails on him mid case. 

so that’ll be super good for everyone I think. Can probably replace him with a corn fed North Platte kid anyways. 

This is the type of brilliant analysis this board so desperately needs.

34 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

First, any "bad press" is coming from Iowa fans and it's almost out of artificial rivalry banter. The national media wont run with any story because we aren't relevant in any sense to make this into a big story, no matter what story comes of all this, if any. If there is a story, it's going to be written up by some Iowa person trying to throw shade at a program that they remember dominated the Midwest, and therefore, their program, for the last 50 years. 

With that, and making absolutely zero excuses for young adults making the bad decision after bad decision, I would venture to guess most of us typing here on this forum come from a rather decent upbringing and have carried that into our adult lives. Things have probably been pretty cookie cutter for the most part for all of us. Unfortunately there are people out there who are not as fortunate as many of us and haven't had it as easy as most of us have. Some of these players in college are not dealt the best of hands growing up and sometimes playing athletics is their opportunity to leave behind the difficulties they had growing up. Sometimes athletics and having a coach and teammates is the first structure in some of these young adults lives. Some of these players have had to grow up far faster than any child should, and grow up without having that structure and guidance.

Reading Coach Frost's comments about it, I am glad Frost has that approach. Some of these young men need sports, need coaches, need teammates. If coaches took a holier than thou approach and kicked a player off at the first wrong doing then they'd be doing that individual no favors. It did seem while Washington was on the team Frost did hold him accountable, and did try to teach him lessons, all awhile giving him all the tools, resources, and opportunities to change his behavior, and most importantly provided him structure and support to be there and help him grow as a person.

I don't agree with Washington's actions or behaviors, but I understand why Frost kept him around. Coaches have a far more important role in these players lives than just teaching them X's and O's, they have to teach them in their most critical times how to navigate through life, and in some cases how to teach them from being a young man to a man. A college coach wears many hats from being a coach, mentor, counselor, role model, etc. 

This.  Football and these coaches are one of the only sources of stability and role modeling a lot of these kids have ever had in their lives.