Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

16 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So I have a morality hypothetical question that i will lay on you because you seem game. Based on the assumptions that Covid has been so devastating because the world’s population has no immunity to it AND that children and young adults have little or no symptoms, would you expose your children naturally, as is just go about life normally, knowing that if they are exposed, they would have some marker of immunity that will protect them for the remainder of their lives BUT at the risk of killing your parents? 

Too simplistic to really consider, as are most morality questions, but I cannot figure out who were trying to protect because the virus is here forever. 

To answer your question no I wouldn't. My daughter has well managed asthma, but respiratory infections trigger her asthma. We take lots of precautions to avoid flu such as the vaccine and early intervention if she's sick to avoid issues. Her asthma won't kill her but mixed with Covid she's at risk. 

Then my father is 60 with well controlled diabetes. He works full time in construction and is generally healthy. However, mixing Covid with his diabetes means he's at risk. His diabetes won't kill him soon, but mixed with Covid it could. So, I'm not going to trade years and years of my dad's life to avoid some minor inconvenience this year like wearing a mask and distancing, no large groups, etc. 

And don't think this is unique. This is the cause for tens of millions of American's. Having a preexisting condition or comorbidity doesn't mean you're in a nursing home or dying anytime soon. So, we need to stop using that excuse. Many of these people with comorbidities likely had years if not decades to live without a Covid infection. 

That also doesn't mean I'm in the shut it all down tell a vaccine camp. There is a middle ground between shut it down and do nothing that this country seems to refuse to acknowledge and accept. 

• Plus1 4

39 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Again, that's not what it means.  It's how the death certificate was filled out.  That number is "covid only" as written on the death certificate. 

If you have a manageable condition, diabetes, etc, and covid kills you, you probably will be listed with a comorbidity and thus not fall into the 10,000 death category. 

In fact, it appears you could be without a pre-existing condition, then contract covid, die from covid induced respiratory failure for instance, and the cause of death would not be listed as "covid only".  It could be listed as both.  It depends on how the death certificate is filled out.

This matters because people are now running around thinking the lethality is far less than it is.  That's not what this data shows.

That is why I am saying that I can't believe it.  I don't think that report is true.

I'll put my opinion out here again. I think you can take this pandemic seriously, and at the same time think it's okay for HS/College kids participate in athletics. Getting sick of people assuming you are either all in on this being a hoax or all in on thinking we should be locking down everything.

I think the flu comparison isn't as crazy as people think. I've seen some similarities between COVID and a nasty flu season. Almost like a flu where we don't have vaccine protection or known solid treatments. I don't think people realize how slammed some hospitals get during flu season - we've had to call hospitals for extra ventilators and triage respiratory treatments due to heavy patient volumes during nasty flu seasons in the past. I digress. 

At the end of the day, I think we have a virus that will be potentially deadly to folks that have preexisting conditions. A virus that is especially tricky because people won't show any signs or symptoms. I think we need to do our best to keep spread low at the community level. No large groups, wear masks, wash hands. I think we should allow the low risk population to go about their lives as normally as they possibly can. Things like HS and College sports, classroom learning, should be decided by the person/families risk tolerance. This virus will have killed many when it's all said and done, it's a serious virus. But we still need to move forward (as safely as possible!).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I don't think it's new information or changes anything.  With almost any disease, it's a complex that kills, whether factors were present before or in this case covid induced.  So it's not surprising that 94% are listed that way.  

I believe that co-morbidities refers to having multiple illnesses at the same time and does not mean that one caused or induced the other(s) .   Pneumonia is not a result of Covid 19.  Patients can and do get flus, Covid, and pneumonia at the same time.  Any of these can be fatal independently but having several illnesses simultaneously will likely make the patient very very ill and in such a weakened condition, more at risk of death etc.  

The numbers of deaths for patients without comorbidities is very low certainly.  It may well be that the number of patients without other health issues (age, obesity, diabetes, renal, etc) is only 6% of covid infection cases.  This has been the objection in a nutshell by most of the public all along.  Corona virus is essentially like the flu otherwise in a mortality rate by itself with otherwise healthy people.  

The big fear in the first couple months (March 15 to May 15) was the rate of spread (infectious) and the numbers of people who might need hospitalization to overwhelm the facilities.  Thus the flatten the curve theory.  

The problem was the medical community lead by Fauci failed to immediately act to protect the most vulnerable (nursing homes and senior citizens, very sick or overweight, diabetics, kidney).  Then some governors deliberately put covid positives IN nursing homes full of very sickly patients in close proximity so infections exploded and literally tens of thousands died with comorbidities but not before being hospitalized.  Therefore, healthcare workers in both hospitals and the homes were unduly exposed, the patients in dire need of extensive healthcare services for non-covid problems either exposed or sent home or refused treatment, and the problems dominoed all over.  

The entire corona virus outbreak was worsened, if not intended, by China’s deception early on and throughout.  

The post game analysis may never get to the bottom of it all but there will be much to be learned.  The Fauci response (deer in headlights initially followed by near panic shutdown of private sector business and haphazard and arbitrary restrictions to many activities but ignoring others, and multiple instances of advisory changes) has not helped instill trust generally.  Masks dont work to they may help to they are our only hope!   Vaccines take years to

maybe by late ‘20 to early ‘21.  Death estimates of millions to 250,000 and now, well oops, its actually only 15,000 as most of these previously reported in the most dreadful and ominous and depressing ways imaginable, were due to other causes.  In other words, Covid 19 is NOT the end of days afterall. Nevermind, guess maybe we maybe over reacted!   

Sorry about the ten trillion dollar disaster that killed 40 million jobs and destroyed millions of businesses and set the entire world back a decade economically and nearly into a great depression. The damage is on going and there remains great risk of depression still.   Big Ten sports is just a tip of the iceberg as airlines and transportation and hospitality and dining and entertainment sectors are in dire straits.  Most of damage is yet to be recognized (public schools and local govt budgets are just now being considered).  

The on- going partial shutdowns are reported as if they are non-existent but dam few enterprises can function with 25 or 50% capacity caps and are still failing financially.  Econ bleeding is slowed but not stopped.  

Finally, more delays and confusion about treatments, experimental or not, vaccines or not, do not help.  The unwillingness to allow treatments with broad spectrum anecdotal success when no other options are available only casts doubt about public confidence and trust and motives of medical leadership. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I believe that co-morbidities refers to having multiple illnesses at the same time and does not mean that one caused or induced the other(s) .   Pneumonia is not a result of Covid 19.  Patients can and do get flus, Covid, and pneumonia at the same time.  Any of these can be fatal independently but having several illnesses simultaneously will likely make the patient very very ill and in such a weakened condition, more at risk of death etc.  

The numbers of deaths for patients without comorbidities is very low certainly.  It may well be that the number of patients without other health issues (age, obesity, diabetes, renal, etc) is only 6% of covid infection cases.  This has been the objection in a nutshell by most of the public all along.  Corona virus is essentially like the flu otherwise in a mortality rate by itself with otherwise healthy people.  

The big fear in the first couple months (March 15 to May 15) was the rate of spread (infectious) and the numbers of people who might need hospitalization to overwhelm the facilities.  Thus the flatten the curve theory.  

The problem was the medical community lead by Fauci failed to immediately act to protect the most vulnerable (nursing homes and senior citizens, very sick or overweight, diabetics, kidney).  Then some governors deliberately put covid positives IN nursing homes full of very sickly patients in close proximity so infections exploded and literally tens of thousands died with comorbidities but not before being hospitalized.  Therefore, healthcare workers in both hospitals and the homes were unduly exposed, the patients in dire need of extensive healthcare services for non-covid problems either exposed or sent home or refused treatment, and the problems dominoed all over.  

The entire corona virus outbreak was worsened, if not intended, by China’s deception early on and throughout.  

The post game analysis may never get to the bottom of it all but there will be much to be learned.  The Fauci response (deer in headlights initially followed by near panic shutdown of private sector business and haphazard and arbitrary restrictions to many activities but ignoring others, and multiple instances of advisory changes) has not helped instill trust generally.  Masks dont work to they may help to they are our only hope!   Vaccines take years to

maybe by late ‘20 to early ‘21.  Death estimates of millions to 250,000 and now, well oops, its actually only 15,000 as most of these previously reported in the most dreadful and ominous and depressing ways imaginable, were due to other causes.  In other words, Covid 19 is NOT the end of days afterall. Nevermind, guess maybe we maybe over reacted!   

Sorry about the ten trillion dollar disaster that killed 40 million jobs and destroyed millions of businesses and set the entire world back a decade economically and nearly into a great depression. The damage is on going and there remains great risk of depression still.   Big Ten sports is just a tip of the iceberg as airlines and transportation and hospitality and dining and entertainment sectors are in dire straits.  Most of damage is yet to be recognized (public schools and local govt budgets are just now being considered).  

The on- going partial shutdowns are reported as if they are non-existent but dam few enterprises can function with 25 or 50% capacity caps and are still failing financially.  Econ bleeding is slowed but not stopped.  

Finally, more delays and confusion about treatments, experimental or not, vaccines or not, do not help.  The unwillingness to allow treatments with broad spectrum anecdotal success when no other options are available only casts doubt about public confidence and trust and motives of medical leadership. 

You're reading the data wrong.  It's not showing that people died of other causes and covid just happened to be along for the ride.  That's an flawed interpretation.

The hospital is filling out the cause of death... pneumonia..check...caused by covid...check.  That falls then into the 94% who had comorbidity.   Are there cases of people having pneumonia from other causes the they contract covid sure?  Sure, but how that gets separated out of the data is impossible to determine now.  This really is why excess deaths plays a role but even that isn't a perfect analysis.

Where did you ever come up pneumonia can't be induced from a covid infection?  It certainly can be.

I'll just leave it at that.  This isn't going to go anywhere anyway.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I look at it like this. I am going to die in 2 years of cancer, but I just got Covid and died today. Can you say the cancer is my cause of death today? No, that's not the case, I would have lived through the day if it weren't for Covid. Simple as that.

Did the cancer contribute? Sure. A thousand things contribute over a lifespan but that cheeseburger I ate 35 years ago shouldn't be listed on my death certificate.

Edited by runningblind
Football.
  • Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I wish they could put out info rating symptoms that positive tested players have had.  Don't have to give out names but say hey of the x amount of people who tested positive y only had cold like symptoms and z had no symptoms at all.  I know there is some data out there for the general public but I would just like to see how it really is affecting these players. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good thread explaining the subject above. 

There is no real way to know what the actual numbers are. You could have people who were Asymptomatic with Covid but had a heart condition. They may have just had a good old fashioned heart attack. So I believe it is not 6% and it is not 100%. It is somewhere between those 2. Where exactly I dont know. A good starting point would be to maybe look at as an example. Month of July. What is the average deaths by heart attack in July on a normal year. How many died of a heart attack this year? If the number is way down from normal then you know those deaths are probably not properly attributed to the true cause of death. Heart attack or covid.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Is Nebraska still practicing under the time allotted by the BIG? I assume so, but I also thought I read somewhere were teams stopped and allowed players a break. Thanks in advance. 

I think they did take a break but I believe they are back at it now.

• Plus1 3