Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

they didnt quiz on that in their qb tests. You only study for what you will be quizzed on geesh give the guys a break. 

Verdoo took a lot of s#!t, but I think he does a great job of developing QBs mechanically. But in college he really needed to focus more on the mental aspect and recognition of the defense. It's apparent that's where his coaching was lacking.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Verdoo took a lot of s#!t, but I think he does a great job of developing QBs mechanically. But in college he really needed to focus more on the mental aspect and recognition of the defense. It's apparent that's where his coaching was lacking.

I'll take a qb with s#!tty mechanics and stellar ability to read the D over one with stellar mechanics and s#!tty at reading the D any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

I mean how was this not the #1 priority (reading the D) in our development of QB's???

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I think he can throw an adequate long ball for this offense, but I know what you're talking about. Some of his lateral and intermediate throws tend to hang in the air too long. I feel like Adrian had the same problem his Freshmen and Sophomore outings. It's like he doesn't drive the ball enough with his hips or something. He does have a quicker release though. Haarberg can zip it but his release is slow and loopy, it's just college ball though so not as important.

Absolutely. When I refer to arm strength it has very little to do with the ability to throw the longer ball. I am talking about the out routes, digs, stick routes that the defense will jump if he can’t spin it at a high rate of velocity. It is literally a game of inches and if ball isn’t zipping, you are in trouble.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I hear you, but the sentiment so far in this thread seems to be essentially "Smothers doesn't have the arm talent to effectively run the offense" and so many people are touting Haarberg & Torres above him when we haven't even seen either of those guys play at all.

So IF we pull in a transfer QB or 2 and Smothers ends up being QB1, I know well enough to expect plenty of comments such as "They couldn't even beat out Smothers, we're so effed" and variations of that, and I think that's all pretty ridiculous TBH.

It wouldn't be Huskerboard if there wasn't! 

• Thanks 1

I keep logging in to see if we got a new player and it's the same tired speculations repeated over and over.

For what it's worth from the janitor, HH was never in true contention for the #2 spot this year but is progressing well.  He has a ton of potential but was nowhere near ready to run the offense back in September.  Smoothers is a very physically talented guy who struggled to learn all intricacies of the offense... yes even after almost 2 years in the system.  His "arm talent" is sufficient if he can remember everything coming at full speed.  He did make quite a bit of progress the 2nd half of the season.  Maybe a new QB coach with a different mental approach will help- that is the hope.          

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I keep logging in to see if we got a new player and it's the same tired speculations repeated over and over.

For what it's worth from the janitor, HH was never in true contention for the #2 spot this year but is progressing well.  He has a ton of potential but was nowhere near ready to run the offense back in September.  Smoothers is a very physically talented guy who struggled to learn all intricacies of the offense... yes even after almost 2 years in the system.  His "arm talent" is sufficient if he can remember everything coming at full speed.  He did make quite a bit of progress the 2nd half of the season.  Maybe a new QB coach with a different mental approach will help- that is the hope.          

If he was struggling after 2 years in the system, and now he starts over??

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Do you think any of us will be mad if transfers come in and Smothers beats them all to be QB1? I wont be that means that he was better than all of them. Which means we have the best QB starting. Everyone here is good with Smothers as QB1 we just want to raise the level of competition in the room and let the best man win. Same for all the other transfers and guys on the team. Just get the best group of guys on the field possible. 

Not in the slightest.  Many will complain that Frost failed to bring in a transfer that could even beat out the terrible QBs he recruited.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not in the slightest.  Many will complain that Frost failed to bring in a transfer that could even beat out the terrible QBs he recruited.

And, if he does bring in a transfer that wins the starting job, many will complain about the terrible QBs he recruited. Oddly enough, many will be the same people either way.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And either way, people will b!^@h that Frost just isn't putting the best player on the field and letting him make plays.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I’d say Frost had similar style QBs , Martinez and Smothers, and he got the same result because….. Frost. 
Most 70’s NFL coaches didn’t fair catch at the 6 then pass out of the end zone.

They also didn’t go air raid when they were up by 5 with 7 minutes left after running over the opponent most of the game.

• Plus1 1