New Staff Selection

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't agree with the idea that a good coach can just step into any position group and do well.  For instance, I wouldn't expect Joseph to be a really good O line coach.  The difference between WR and O line is just so different and a coach really needs to know technique to teach for each position.  There's a reason why our RBs have struggled.  Some of that is the O line.  But, a lot of it was simply that they weren't getting good coaching.  Brown has proven he can coach the position.  So, in my opinion, he would be a much better choice than Beckton who hasn't.  

I also don't want the TE position to be messed with.  We have had good recruiting there along with good production.  We are also going to a a system that is more reliant on the passing game.  Why take your most proven coach out of a position group that could greatly affect the ability of that group to be productive in the passing game?

I think something people are not taking into consideration is, these guys don’t fall off the map if they’re coaching another position. They are all still on staff, talk to each other and are available to consult with.

If Beckton or Brown or whoever ends up with a different position group, it’s not like they are totally inaccessible. On a well run staff Id imagine there is all kinds of collaboration between the coaches.  Mind you I cannot prove anyone has collaborated on our special teams yet :lol:

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's one man's opinion on Nebraska's coaching moves.

I would say we're at least one/two pieces on the O Line away from this, and probably a good RB from the portal as well. But the takeaway is that people unrelated to the program think we're making moves in the right direction. So that's nice.

I would love to get a linebacker and d lineman. Someone who can get pressure. 

19 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

And considering we are losing our top 2 receivers plus Falck I think it is a bit of stretch.

Omar Manning and Betts are dudes, we just have to find a way to get them the ball consistently. I definitely think we need to find a replacement for Toure in the portal. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Per Sam- the UVA Special Teams coach Brumfield is no longer in contention for a spot on the NU staff.

ST Coordinator options include Busch and Sean Snyder.

The absolute home run would be Greg Knox from UF IMO (interim HC there currently) as he’s both a RBs and ST coach that has been long tenured in the SEC.

We’ll see.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, seaofred92 said:

Per Sam- the UVA Special Teams coach Brumfield is no longer in contention for a spot on the NU staff.

ST Coordinator options include Busch and Sean Snyder.

The absolute home run would be Greg Knox from UF IMO (interim HC there currently) as he’s both a RBs and ST coach that has been long tenured in the SEC.

We’ll see.

HCSF… is that you? Thanks for setting the expectations, HCSF. Some on here may not like you, but I do. They’ll understand that you’re ahead of the curve with a small recruiting class and big transfer portal class this year. 247 sports has a new metric that others will begin to follow, but you already knew that. Knox will be a great coach. Thanks for everything you’re doing to rebuild this program here in real year one. It had to be hard to fire the drinking buddies, but we’re all really glad you did.

• Haha 1

Here's a novice idea, why not let the OC have some say into this? Might it be they are not rushing the search because they are first letting the new OC watch some film, maybe analyze the talent.. then maybe make a hire that is fitting for both the HC & OC. Just my 2 cents worth. In the words of a wise one, patience grasshopper!!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, theknife said:

Omar Manning and Betts are dudes, we just have to find a way to get them the ball consistently. I definitely think we need to find a replacement for Toure in the portal. 

I'll throw in Brown as well.  Really excited to see what Joseph can do with these guys.  I don'y think they received the best of coaching.  Listening to Joseph talk about the little things to clean up.  I'm assuming as WR coach, he can see some issues there.

• Fire 1