What did we learn Michigan Game

9 minutes ago, Gage County said:

I'm suppose to finish a job in Ann Arbor this week. I called the client and told them I have covid and I'll see them next week. No fugging way I'm spend the rest of week downtown Ann Arbor.

I love that city, but most of the people there smell their own farts.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

MaxMara is paying the right ad company(s). I'm gonna go buy all of this right now. Once the fuzzy balls arrive and I tie them around my neck I'm gonna twirl them around my head until they knock me in the face.

Ha, was this an ad you got on Huskerboard?

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a friend who was on the 97 Michigan team and texted him "Congrats on Michigan's first title since 1948" last night.  He responded with a laughing emoji and then a picture of his 1997 ring.

We've had some conversations about who would have won in 97, but I always feel like I don't have a leg to stand on since I was playing intramural football at UNL and he was playing actual football at Michigan.

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We've had some conversations about who would have won in 97, but I always feel like I don't have a leg to stand on since I was playing intramural football at UNL and he was playing actual football at Michigan.

The fact that you were playing intramurals does nothing to negate the fact that our actual football team would have stomped an absolute f#%king mudhole in your friend and the rest of his Michigan teammates that year.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 4

It is hard for me to rationally think that 97 Michigan beats 97 Nebraska. 

I always go to Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf.

The Huskers dominated Tennessee.

Michigan was behind going into the 4th quarter.

Michigan people see it as a nod to Osborne, I see it as also a nod to the better team.

Here are the stats of that RoseBowl.

image.png.9abe8b50616f19da2d811c75333589b2.png

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 5

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Michigan people see it as a nod to Osborne, I see it as also a nod to the better team.

Also, they never played the last two seconds of the Rose Bowl.  WSU should have had one throw into the end zone.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Also, they never played the last two seconds of the Rose Bowl.  WSU should have had one throw into the end zone.

Absolute hose job at the end of the game with that spike. Don’t know why that never gets much attention.

57 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Manning - Leaf is the obvious comparison. But that Tennessee team was stacked. Manning, Jamal Lewis, Peerless Price, Marcus Nash, Cedric Wilson, Shaun Ellis, Terry Fair, Leonard Little. 

A 5 point win over a team whose best player was one of the biggest NFL busts of all time… Or an absolute beatdown of a team stacked with NFL talent, draft picks and one of the best QB’s to ever play the game. It’s not close. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 5
1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

7-7 at half time

WSU 99 yard td drive, up 13-7 after blocked kick opening the 3rd

MeatChicken with a tds in the 3rd an 4th to win 13-21

Huskers levvvvvvveled Rocky Top with 6 rushing tds, 3 in the 3rd quarter.

The bigger question is who would of won a round robin with UM, WSU, UT?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hats off to Michigan, but my big takeaway is that I would no longer bet my NFL franchise on Michael Penix Jr. 

Meh....it was one game against a very good defense.  He did make some bad throws to wide open WRs.  But, I would look at his entire season and not just this game.

Also, it was clear that at some point in the game, he got injured.  I thought it looked like a rib injury.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I always look at it this way.  Michigan's best player that year was a CB.  Who was he going to shut down?  Our star Receiver?  Tennessee was loaded with NFL talent that year and they got smoked.  Pretty sure Michigan's fate would have been the same.  

Good point.  I've finally come to grips with it as time moves on.  However, it's an interesting rabbit hole to go down to see how Michigan finished regular season at 1 and Nebraska at 2.

Basically, we were ranked #1 for 3 weeks in a row, then beat Missouri in OT.  Michigan was #4 and that same week beat #2 Penn State.  

The following poll on Monday - Nebraska was dropped after a game they won from #1 to #3.....  and Michigan moved from #4 to #1.  

You don't see that very often.  

And that Penn State team that was ranked #2 ended up losing 3 out of their last 4 games.  Proving they were overrated at #2.

Later....

#1 Michigan beat #2 Ohio State (who had 1 loss earlier to Penn State but the Buckeyes were ranked ahead of Nebraska at this point).

Huskers beat A&M in the Conference Champ Game 54-15.  And had to beat #3 Tennessee (Huskers were up 42-9 with 4 minutes to go in the game).

#1 Michigan did not play a CCG, but did get to play #8 Washington State.  And the Cougars were never in the top 10 at any point of the season until after the regular season ended (jumping from #11 to #8).

It never made sense to me.  Oh well.  That was a long time ago lol.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nebraska/1997-schedule.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan/1997-schedule.html

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Meh....it was one game against a very good defense.  He did make some bad throws to wide open WRs.  But, I would look at his entire season and not just this game.

Also, it was clear that at some point in the game, he got injured.  I thought it looked like a rib injury.

There were also some misses that were not as straightforward as people claim. This guy is a Michigan guy, but he breaks down some other Big Ten stuff and I really like his insights.

The wide open TD Penix and the WR are reading different DBs. Because of the bust that allows the WR to be so open, they (QB and WR) come to different conclusions on the coverage and how the route should go. Penix sees Cover 2 and throws the corner route, Odunze sees Cover 3 and runs it up the seam. He didn't just "miss the throw."

And for the one Herbstreit was up in arms about, Odunze just isn't part of the play as designed other than to make Michigan commit numbers over there. It would have taken entirely abandoning the play call and/or somehow recognizing that despite the numbers advantage Michigan wasn't effectively covering Odunze while reading the opposite side of the field.

Still not sure I buy him as an NFL QB anyway - but it seems like the narrative is he was flat out missing guys all game and that's just not true. Michigan disguised well (which NFL teams will do even better), and then also got lucky on some key plays - the above, a couple screens that fell apart, etc. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

I have a friend who was on the 97 Michigan team and texted him "Congrats on Michigan's first title since 1948" last night.  He responded with a laughing emoji and then a picture of his 1997 ring.

Tell him you're aware of at least one of their roster members and now know NU was superior.

• Plus1 1