What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

14 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

The thing is, Simms and Haarbergs deep pass interceptions all look the exact same. They are not being coached to read a defense.

IMO the only thing about the QB play you can pin on the coaches is the fact they put them on the field and have them try to do things they are horrible at. Our QB talent is zero. You ain’t gonna coach em up.

What the coaches can do is recognize that fact and call plays that will minimize the damage they do. That did not happen today….or in previous games.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 3

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I learned that this team is a bottom feeder and if something drastic doesn't happen it'll be worse next year. The stats don't lie in our case, this is against a soft schedule full of teams that are as bad as ours.

just give us a competent QB and i wonder how different we would look this year.    

You are in FG range, points are hard to come by, and the OC calls a few pass plays with your 3rrd string QB.

What could possibly happen.....

A near sack that fortunately didn't turn into intentional grounding....... And the other was an interception in the endzone.  

Could have taken the 3 points by playing smart as an OC, giving your team the lead, and placing the pressure on Maryland to try to tie the game.

Going for 7 on 3rd and goal when you can take 3 without screwing up is what lost the game at that point.  OC should have been much more aware of the bigger picture 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

90-yard drives tend to feel hollow when they end in turnovers.

This is more about situational football and understanding what it takes to win. I'm usually the first person to defend play-calling (often times, it's a low-hanging fruit criticism), but this isn't one of those circumstances. That was objectively poor play calling and game management at the end. You gotta know when to fold your hand and take your winnings. That was one of those moments.

The issue is, a FG at best would have took this game to OT. Do you like our chances in OT vs Maryland?

Their offense had very little problem moving the ball up to about the 30 yard line all game and they had the wind. The likelihood of a FG outright winning that game to me is almost nil. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2
7 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I’m not on the fire Satt bandwagon to be clear but I totally agree with your view on the last drive I’ll concede that for sure. I just think it’s incredibly hard to devise a winning formula when your only choice is to be completely one dimensional. And I think he is doing the best you can hope for when you literally do not have a real QB on the roster. And I’m talking about his performance this year as a whole, which is how he should be judged, not the last drive of the game. You have to get three there

Well stated.

I'm not on the Fire Satt train yet, either. I tend to look at today's situation more like gambling or poker. That 90-yard drive they put together was really well done, but that's not a thing this offense has shown it can do consistently. It's a rare commodity. They needed to know that they were on a bit of an unusual hot streak and should probably cash out, not go for broke.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IMO the only thing about the QB play you can pin on the coaches is the fact they put them on the field and have them try to do things they are horrible at. Our QB talent is zero. You ain’t gonna coach em up.

What the coaches can do is recognize that fact and call plays that will minimize the damage they do. That did not happen today….or in previous games.

The QBs are so bad, I don't believe there is a single play that they couldn't find a way to turn it over on, especially Sims. He should not play again. Haarberg is now dinged up, and had been figured out by defenses once they had enough tape on him. Start Purdy the last two games, hope that element of surprise/lack of film on Chubba is enough to luck your way into some points, and who knows, maybe the defense can hold Wisconsin and/or Iowa to less than 10.

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Once again when give the opportunity to establish an identity to be a tough, hard-nosed team like Rhule pontificated about all off-season, we have the ball first and goal at the five and go all mush mouth football. 

How can you establish an identity when you don't even try?  The downside I guess is you don't score a td and then settle for what could have been the game winning field.  But OCs gotta audition for the job by being the craftiest in the room.  

Only body blown thrown in that red zone was to the team by it's own OC...

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Or they inherently don’t have the ability to read a division 1 defense despite all attempts to coach them. If Satt was the OC and let’s say Rattler was here. Do you think the results would be the same?

Two different QBs with different levels of experience, and different talents fail to recognize coverage and throw straight to the defender under the same QB coach seemingly every deep pass. That tells me it is a coaching issue. They are being coached the same way, so they make the same mistakes.