Signed - QB Patrick O'Brien

Treand3

• 2 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

PATRICK O'BRIEN, QB, 6-3, 230, SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO (SAN JUAN HILLS), CA.

California signal caller calls Nebraska home.

"The coaching staff is great, just the bases there is nothing really like it. I felt really in love with the school. The academics is solid. I kind of fell in love with everything." The Cornhusker commit said

"Yea, all of that." When asked if NU offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf could take him to the next level and prior NFL coaching experience was a major factor. "Everything he's done a great job where he's gone. Also his coaching staff is similar what I have at my high school. He has a good relationship with my high school coach and school. I like that a lot."

"He's trying to run more of a pro style offense. I feel like it suits me how I have a strong arm. I can make any throw in the field. I feel like he (Langsdorf) sought after me that I would be a great fit for their system - for his offense." O'Brien said

What separates NU with other schools?

"Definitely tradition. I mean the fan base is amazing. They sell out like 53 seasons. Something like that. It's just a school to play for." O'Brien said

"I was there for the Wisconsin game. When I was there everybody wanted my autograph and every thing. I don't think many schools have that, so it made it so special."

O'Brien said he knows Keyshaun Johnson Junior a lot and he really likes Nebraska. He was at the Wisconsin game but traveled separately. Keyshaun father played for coach Riley.

cornhead.gif

• Fire 2

So we get POB.. And Gebbie comes here too.. Who plays then. We are going to have a Qb controversy all over again.. lol

Right? Whether it's Gebbia or another top '17 QB, It'll be the first time since Crouch/Newcombe that there will be a *real* QB controversy. I guess one could say Gans/Keller but that was more mismanaged than open competition.

Cant wait for this kid to get here and compete. I think it should make for an interesting Spring and Fall Camp. The more I watch film of this kid the more I think he has a chance to come in and compete for the job. Watching him throw a comeback to the field from the far hash is very impressive. That is a big boy throw.

His flight is scheduled for Jan. 7. That's when Patrick O'Brien leaves California living behind and splashes into that Husker fish bowl. How great is that splash? Important as that question may be, how about we at least allow the young man to purchase his shower caddy and pack his dorm fridge with Mountain Dew first?

This much is sure: The quarterback had some kind of 2015.
Last Christmas, he wasn't thinking at all about Nebraska. He was just thinking about getting his first scholarship offer. The kid with all the potential had to first practice patience.
"It was definitely humbling, just seeing guys that you thought you were not necessarily better than — well, maybe that — but guys you could compete with, getting a bunch of offers," O'Brien told the Journal Star this week. "But when my time came, it came really fast."
And when it did, O'Brien proved an ever-loyal recruit to the school and coaching staff that first showed him love. It was Nebraska that offered him first on April 21 shortly after offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf got a close look at him. It was Nebraska he committed to on May 21, even with another quarterback, Terry Wilson, already in the Husker class.

LJS