Coaches Poll

I think the pollsters have a far more moderate take on college football than fans do. Lots of us are disappointed that most of our wins were'nt completely in the bag going into the 4th quarter and use that to discredit a 5-0 that we still suck. The pollsters see college football as a survive and advance sport. Win and you move up. Lose and you move down. You cant pay attention to the style points or lack there of anymore. All you can do is control what you control. Win the games on your schedule and the rest takes care of itself. Survive and advance.

I would say that is a pretty good assesment of things. Lots of teams with pretty good talent. Everyone looks at Illinois and says man they arnen't very good, well I think the jury is still out on them. They should get better as the year goes on. As far as athletes are concerned that D-line had them. They have 3 losses, but the teams they have lost to are a combined 14-1 I believe. NCarolina is no slouch and Western Michigan is a very solid ranked non power 5 team.

All this talk about being overrated. I see two or three teams ahead of us that are overrated. See a couple behind us that are overrated too. Now that all teams are playing their conference schedules these things will sort themselves out. The rankings get more accurate as the season goes on. :thumbs:

The homers think we're top 10 and the analysts don't really know because of the soft schedule. At this point it doesn't matter. We're somewhere between 10-25 and undefeated. We have an offense with a bunch of weapons when we're firing on all cylinders and a defense that has shown it can step up. How good are the other teams in the BIG? That's a mystery to me. That's why we have to go ahead and play the games.

At this juncture of the season, I'm really not all that sure about any teams other than possibly Bama and Ohio State. Is there really anyone else out there playing that dominant of football? I like us at 12 with more and more people talking about us this week and the week after the bye. I doubt we go undefeated this season, but we have a really nice season unfolding right now.

• Fire 1

There should be no polls until week six. Too much speculation before then. Doesn't really matter in my mind if they are ranked too high or too low today. You have to beat all lesser opponents and win big games. Huskers are doing what they have to do so far. Just win baby! The polls/BCS will take care of themselves. Let's talk again on November 1 when the BCS rankings come out after beating Indiana and Purdue (lesser opponents) and winning a big game. (Wisconsin). Games 8 and 9 will determine where this season is heading, assuming no confirmation of being overrated before then.

Whether or not we are ranked too high will all be known in a few weeks. After we play Wisconsin and Ohio St. we will be ranked right where we should be. If we lose both games we drop alot and people will be saying "see, I told you we were over rated." But, if we win one or both, nobody will be saying we don't deserve to be a top 10 team.

I see absolutely no reason for us not to be where we are at at this point in the season. This is just a snap shot of the season at this point. We are undefeated so no reason to not be where we are at. Now...by the end of the season, there is a good chance we will end up lower.

What would be very good is if we are a mid top 10 team going into Wisconsin and pull of the win. We then go into OSU very possibly a top 5 team and if we lose (which most are predicting) we probably won't drop that much. Maryland is starting to concern me a little. We can beat them but it's not going to be easy. We SHOULD beat Iowa.

Then, at the end of the season we are well in the playoff discussion before the CCG.

If we are sitting at barely in the top 25 like many here want us to be....that scenario has a much lower chance of playing out.

The homers think we're top 10 and the analysts don't really know because of the soft schedule. At this point it doesn't matter. We're somewhere between 10-25 and undefeated. We have an offense with a bunch of weapons when we're firing on all cylinders and a defense that has shown it can step up. How good are the other teams in the BIG? That's a mystery to me. That's why we have to go ahead and play the games.

Actually, we're not somewhere between 10 and 25. We are #12. You are right though, we have games left to be played.

Hey, I'm not bemoaning that Nebraska is ranked #12, nor do I think it hurts us in any way.

I just think we're ranked too high. At least from what I've seen so far.

The question for me isn't whether Nebraska is better than Baylor or Oklahoma or North Carolina or Utah or North Dakota State, etc., it's whether those teams are better than Fresno State, Wyoming, Oregon, Northwestern and Illinois.

Nebraska has had it's hands full on both sides of the ball against teams that collectively received 0 votes in this week's poll.

Not being a downer. Just saying the team still has a lot to prove. And since the actual games prove everything, I'm not that concerned where we are in the polls.

But it's nice to be talked about.

I get that this is a nebraska message board, so it would be expected to see somebody post that "NU is the most over-rated" however their is zero percent chance that NU is the most over-rated team when Miami is sitting 2 spots in front of us. It is early in the year and some teams that have not loss are going to be bumped up more than they should and some 1 and loss teams are going to be too low - that will work its way out in the end. Enjoy the 5-0 and don't freak out whether we are 10, 12 or 16.