** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 hours ago, jessica0 said:

No need for them to go to the press this time. I know there was a meeting after the Northwestern game where they talked about the type of offense that Scott Frost would run at Nebraska and other topics that the poster would not provide for privacy reasons (promised not to leak it to the boards). How often they have had those meetings I have no clue and I'm not going to ask. 

Heck, the leadership took charge this time around without the boosters having to force it publically. 

Sounds like a Bilderbergs meeting. 

42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Good points about the history playing in Nebraska's favor, but that's all in the past.  Since he has started his coaching career, who knows how much time Frost has spent in Nebraska.  Also, with a new wife and family, Frost may only want to look forward and create his own story.  I take this from my own experience, I moved away from Nebraska nearly 20 years ago.  Yes, there are times where I do think about going back there to live, but they aren't serious thoughts or discussions with my wife.

Interesting points. I wonder if you had a high paying job opportunity would you want to return home? Also, Nebraska is one of the best states in which to raise a family.  I have young friends who have had to make that very decision. However, your insight is certainly valid as well. 

Scott was interested in the job 3years sho-right? And the reason he didn’t get it was lack of Head. Coaching experience-right?  

Those contingencies are gone now so perhaps he has worked at UCF for such a time as this where Nebraska will have a job opening. He has the qualifications that meet their opening so perhaps he will take it. Only he knows. Thanks for sharing your insight. 

Job Security? Nebraska. At Nebraska I think Frost would be given a couple more years IF he did not work out, I think regardless Frost is given 5 years at Nebraska. Meanwhile at Florida Frost is looking at 3 years and he better have something to show for it by the end of 3 years or Florida has no problem firing and looking for the next best coach out there. So job security I think favors Nebraska.

Easier job? Nebraska. You're in the B1G West, in theory you only have Wisconsin and every few years Iowa to deal with to get to the B1G championship game. Unlike Florida, where they fired a coach for making it to the SEC title game 2 out of 3 years, at Nebraska you win the B1G West 2 out of 3 years and you just bought yourself a 4 year extended contract. You don't have to deal with Georgia, whenever they decide to wake up Tennessee, and cross over games vs LSU, Alabama, etc.

Recruiting? Nebraska. This one will be very debatable, and you could easily argue Florida has the advantage here. Such as the Gators don't have to get on a plane to recruit, that is true, and Nebraska is isolated from hot bed recruiting states and they don't produce big time in state recruits, that is also true. But, let's look at the difficulty you have recruiting at Florida that IMO, puts Nebraska as an easier recruiting job even though you may have to get on a plane to contact recruits. Florida isn't the big time school in state. You have a surging Miami, a consistent power in Florida State who both are doing a better job then the Gators. Sure you offer the only SEC school to in state recruits, but you also have to defend recruits against Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, oh and just about every other SEC school and southern located ACC school. Point is, you are constantly battling with top programs across the entire country who are targeting the best kids out of Florida, and as it stands, the Gators aren't even the current premiere school in the state. So you'll have expectations to be the best and win a lot, yet it isn't a guarantee you are going to get the best players from your own state.

Administration? Nebraska. I would say it is important to a head coach to look at who their boss is going to be. In Frost's case Nebraska wins this one. Florida appears to be a mess with an administration that willing to cut ties with a coach that won 2 SEC Divisional titles in 2.5 years. Nebraska has new staff in the higher up positions that appear to be willing to spend and invest for a coach to have success. There will be more patience for Frost to grow and develop at Nebraska while all awhile getting the support he needs from the administration.

I don't know, this is how I see it anyways. Maybe there is a lot of homerism in this post, but for me, I would look at stability and longevity of a career rather then going to the place that I may win big right away, but if I don't I'm looking for a new job in a couple years. Florida provides that chance of a quick turn around and immediate winning, but long term it just doesn't look like a long term gig because eventually they'll ask, "what have you done for us lately?" 

4 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I'm not even sure Eichorst would have considered Frost even if he had head coaching experience three years ago. Eichorst was gonna do it his own shady stupid way. 

You have a redundancy in that post: you said Eichorst, stupid, and shady. 

3 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Job Security? Nebraska. At Nebraska I think Frost would be given a couple more years IF he did not work out, I think regardless Frost is given 5 years at Nebraska. Meanwhile at Florida Frost is looking at 3 years and he better have something to show for it by the end of 3 years or Florida has no problem firing and looking for the next best coach out there. So job security I think favors Nebraska.

Easier job? Nebraska. You're in the B1G West, in theory you only have Wisconsin and every few years Iowa to deal with to get to the B1G championship game. Unlike Florida, where they fired a coach for making it to the SEC title game 2 out of 3 years, at Nebraska you win the B1G West 2 out of 3 years and you just bought yourself a 4 year extended contract. You don't have to deal with Georgia, whenever they decide to wake up Tennessee, and cross over games vs LSU, Alabama, etc.

Recruiting? Nebraska. This one will be very debatable, and you could easily argue Florida has the advantage here. Such as the Gators don't have to get on a plane to recruit, that is true, and Nebraska is isolated from hot bed recruiting states and they don't produce big time in state recruits, that is also true. But, let's look at the difficulty you have recruiting at Florida that IMO, puts Nebraska as an easier recruiting job even though you may have to get on a plane to contact recruits. Florida isn't the big time school in state. You have a surging Miami, a consistent power in Florida State who both are doing a better job then the Gators. Sure you offer the only SEC school to in state recruits, but you also have to defend recruits against Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, oh and just about every other SEC school and southern located ACC school. Point is, you are constantly battling with top programs across the entire country who are targeting the best kids out of Florida, and as it stands, the Gators aren't even the current premiere school in the state. So you'll have expectations to be the best and win a lot, yet it isn't a guarantee you are going to get the best players from your own state.

Administration? Nebraska. I would say it is important to a head coach to look at who their boss is going to be. In Frost's case Nebraska wins this one. Florida appears to be a mess with an administration that willing to cut ties with a coach that won 2 SEC Divisional titles in 2.5 years. Nebraska has new staff in the higher up positions that appear to be willing to spend and invest for a coach to have success. There will be more patience for Frost to grow and develop at Nebraska while all awhile getting the support he needs from the administration.

I don't know, this is how I see it anyways. Maybe there is a lot of homerism in this post, but for me, I would look at stability and longevity of a career rather then going to the place that I may win big right away, but if I don't I'm looking for a new job in a couple years. Florida provides that chance of a quick turn around and immediate winning, but long term it just doesn't look like a long term gig because eventually they'll ask, "what have you done for us lately?" 

Florida literally has 100 times more college football recruits than Nebraska.  I've seen a figure in the range of 12% of all college football recruits come from Florida and 0.1 come from Nebraska.  So even with 13 FBS and FCS teams in Florida the math is easily in their favor.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, Herbie95 said:

Florida literally has 100 times more college football recruits than Nebraska.  I've seen a figure in the range of 12% of all college football recruits come from Florida and 0.1 come from Nebraska.  So even with 13 FBS and FCS teams in Florida the math is easily in their favor.  

True, but every single major program is coming into Florida to recruit. Even if you shut down your borders and try to keep recruits at home you have to battle FSU, Miami, USF, and UCF, and Lane Kiffin at FAU.

1 minute ago, STL Husker said:

Nebraska's 500 mile radius = Florida's 5 mile radius

Ha!

Coach Frost "First things first...WE MUST PROTECT THE 5 MILE RADIUS, we must, it is that simple, if we can't protect that 5 miles...well we might have to go 10 miles to fill up our class with all 4 stars"

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

True, but every single major program is coming into Florida to recruit. Even if you shut down your borders and try to keep recruits at home you have to battle FSU, Miami, USF, and UCF, and Lane Kiffin at FAU.

You can give the top 25 recruits to FSU, the next 25 to Miami, and there will still be more talent than the 500 mile radius.

Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

Yes, there is more "competition" for those recruits, but Florida is still a much bigger name than USF, UCF, and FAU.  UF isn't battling with those schools for recruits.  They are battling with FSU, Miami, and other Power 5 schools.  USF, UCF, and FAU are getting the leftovers.  Now, those "leftovers" are still pretty good, which is why those programs can be pretty good for G5 schools.

55 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If they want me to give 1/2 of Riley's salary, I would be willing to give it a try.

Shoot.. give me 100k and I'll be our next coach. I'd use the other 5.9 million to hire Les Miles as my DC and Joe Moorhead as the OC and HC in waiting. Highest paid coordinators in the land and they'd call me a self sacrificing genius for taking such a low salary.

• Plus1 1