Nick Gates

Red Five

You never know. I was shocked Sirles made it in the NFL and when the Vikings traded for him I wasnt super excited but.... He has been really solid for the Vikings as our "Depth" guy. He has played in multiple spots with LG being his best spot.

That being said I dont think anyone questioned Sirles work ethic when he was here but you just never know.

He(Gates) is a Husker, so I wish him the best of luck but hopefully this opens the door for guys who want to be here and want to work.

Edited by Minnesota_husker
7 hours ago, The Dude said:

I think even if Valentine stayed another year he'd still be a backup in the NFL.

Similarly I don't see much value for Gates to stick around another year.

I wouldn't consider Valentine a backup. The only reason he wasn't Patriot's starting run-stuffing NT was due to season ending injury.

Good luck...now we will all get our answer of how poorly he was coached here, if he was lazy as hell, or if he truly has the potential.

The way he looked against top caliber guys the last two years leads me to believe he was poorly coached, lazy, and did not reach his potential.

Hopefully he proves himself and can get it done. Always good to see former Huskers excel at the next level.

50 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

IMO this is addition by subtraction.  He has played very lazy at least the last 2 years and was the sole guy you could count on for 1 simple thing... a false start penalty on 3rd and short when we needed a first down the most.  Every friggin time he would false start in the most inopportune time.

This literally never happened.  According to the play-by-play data, the last 3 years he had 3 total false start penalties.  Against Arkansas State on a 2nd and 10, Penn State on 2nd and 4, and Tennessee on 2nd and 10.  They ended up picking up at least one first down after every one of his false starts.

Even if you count the 'Team Penalty' false starts as his, they never happened on 3rd down either and they picked up first downs after every single one of them.  None of them were drive killers.

• Plus1 4
  • Mavric changed the title to Nick Gates