Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

I think the answer going down the stretch is to add some new plays that work the ball quickly to the outside and see if it loosens things up a bit. What you really want to do is to set things up for Sims to book it on zone reads but you can't do that all the time in the first half when good defenses are setting up to stop that exact thing.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Settle down brother.  It’s a message board.  We clearly have different realities.

They absolutely are not in the Minny game without his legs.  He also played a huge role in losing the game.

You listed everything he does wrong.  You’re delusional if you ignore that he’s physically gifted.

I think Sims is the reason we are 0-2.  They’d also be 0-2 without him because there’s no one else.

And what exactly have “physically gifted” quarterbacks gotten us in the past 8 years? Meanwhile Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois keep destroying Nebraska with their unathletic, inaccurate game managers

again, it’s not about athletic ability. It’s about procedural and crunch time reliability. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Rhule said he went after Sims because many people around the league said he was an NFL talent.  I believe they were just trying to get Rhule to draft him.  Probably would have worked too.

Did they happen to specify at what position he’d be a talent? 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Maybe we can put white makeup on Casey Thompson and say he’s a walkon.

I bet we could get him back for a price.

I mean... Casey Thompson scored as many points on Ohio as Long Island University did.  

And Sims had a better completion percentage, more yards per attempt, fewer interceptions and a better QBR on Saturday.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

Rhule and Satt need to have a sit down.  Sims is the starter and for all intents and purposes the best we have.  And that sucks.  BUT, design a scheme around what he can do.  Not what the playbook says he can do.  Use 2 back sets to give him options.  I beat the hiring of Chadwell to death, but run some of his triple O offense.  Use Kemp/Fidone and a RB as the triple option.  Make shorter routes with quicker reads.  Receivers are not getting a lot of separation so no deep routes unless off PA.  Give him less reads.  He appears to be a safety playing QB.  A lot like JLo.  Use that offense.  It got us 10-3…….

• Plus1 3

Starting Point:  I need to see the QB's throwing the ball like they aren't scared to throw it.  Velocity, tight spirals, follow through. You are playing big time CF, you have to be past the point of aiming and short arming passes on intermediate routes.  If nothing else, this makes the coaches look incompetent.  

Second: I don't care what else they can do or how raw they are, I need to find out which of these freshman have the speed to at least threaten an opponent deep.  

Third: I'm looking at Greg Roman's offense, identifying where there is overlap, building off that, and trying to mimic it to the extent possible for the remainder of the season.  

Lastly:  I'm probably putting up some hard guard rails on how many pass plays Sat can call per game and which down and distances I'm willing to let him call a drop back pass.  Like 3rd & 4+

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Rhule and Satt need to have a sit down.  Sims is the starter and for all intents and purposes the best we have.  And that sucks.  BUT, design a scheme around what he can do.  Not what the playbook says he can do.  Use 2 back sets to give him options.  I beat the hiring of Chadwell to death, but run some of his triple O offense.  Use Kemp/Fidone and a RB as the triple option.  Make shorter routes with quicker reads.  Receivers are not getting a lot of separation so no deep routes unless off PA.  Give him less reads.  He appears to be a safety playing QB.  A lot like JLo.  Use that offense.  It got us 10-3…….

This is absolutely all they can do.  Sims is it folks.

They are going to have to design an offense around not making mistakes.  I’m sure that’s going to be extremely difficult.  They have to be able to throw the all downfield.  I don’t know what you can do about fumbles.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think you start Sims for the 1st half of the next game.  If he doesn't completely ball out against what most would view as an inferior opponent you give HH the second half and see what he can do with extended time.  

I say reverse that theory..  Sit simms the first half (unless its a complete disaster) align rhule with his own policy of protecting the ball and let simms think a bit..  if haarberg balls out, let him go and give our #2 some NEEDED game time...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
6 hours ago, lo country said:

He has to first be able to take the snap.

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

I say reverse that theory..  Sit simms the first half (unless its a complete disaster) align rhule with his own policy of protecting the ball and let simms think a bit..  if haarberg balls out, let him go and give our #2 some NEEDED game time...

I'm fine with that.  But, I want HH getting major snaps in practice this week.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1