Who should our next HC be?

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Conference yes.

We haven't been at the forefront of facilities in a while....otherwise we wouldn't be building to try to catch back up.  Purdue has great facilities and they are part of the B1G tv money too.

Baylor is a good job in excellent recruiting territory.

Best fan base in the country with university leadership that has spent half the past 20 years infighting with football.

Have you ever been to Waco, Texas?  It is seriously a terrible town to even drive through.   Baylor's location is in good recruiting territory but at best it is the 3rd best football school in Texas.   Historically it is the 5th or 6th best.   As far as facilities,  Nebraska is ahead before our upgrade.  Having bad teams the last decade casts a shadow in fans eyes but from a coaching standpoint,  it really has no negative bearing.  In fact,  the job is likely a bit more attractive because the bar has been significantly lowered.  Someone who wins 9 games is going to be viewed as very successful.   

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Have you ever been to Waco, Texas?  It is seriously a terrible town to even drive through.   Baylor's location is in good recruiting territory but at best it is the 3rd best football school in Texas.   Historically it is the 5th or 6th best.   As far as facilities,  Nebraska is ahead before our upgrade.  Having bad teams the last decade casts a shadow in fans eyes but from a coaching standpoint,  it really has no negative bearing.  In fact,  the job is likely a bit more attractive because the bar has been significantly lowered.  Someone who wins 9 games is going to be viewed as very successful.   

If A&M is currently the best football school in Texas, 3rd best is damn good.

Many towns in the deep south are hot, humid, mosquito filled armpits.

I didn't mention "bad teams" the past decade.  I mentioned the administration/football infighting.

And yep, coaches know and care when a different job is better.

Aranda is a guy who can pick and choose where he wants to coach. It won't be Nebraska.

Again, in my opinion our best bet is to go after a guy who's currently not coaching but who might be looking to make a comeback, or a guy who's a coordinator looking to be a HC (i.e., Bill O'Brien). Campbell would probably be the exception. Seems like he's reached his ceiling at Iowa St.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

If A&M is currently the best football school in Texas, 3rd best is damn good.

Many towns in the deep south are hot, humid, mosquito filled armpits.

We also have.... rattler snakes, and dust, and cowboy boots.... and desert skies, and horses, and bobcats and coyotes and foxes and deer..... and bales of hay.... and green tractors.... and borracho beans.... tortillas.... with Al Pastor or Barbacoa.....eggs an T-bones...  110 degree summers.... Church on Sundays..... red-tailed hawks and meat cows..... some milk cows too.... and lots of back road dirt trails for your mudding pleasures.... a lot of cactus and bluebonnets.... and ponds and lakes with blue gill and bass.... plus a lot of dust and dirt and extra armpit stuff :)  It's so awful, and not nearly nice as the good life of Lincoln, Nebraska.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Aranda is a guy who can pick and choose where he wants to coach. It won't be Nebraska.

Again, in my opinion our best bet is to go after a guy who's currently not coaching but who might be looking to make a comeback, or a guy who's a coordinator looking to be a HC (i.e., Bill O'Brien). Campbell would probably be the exception. Seems like he's reached his ceiling at Iowa St.

I think you can find some guys having decent success in some dying conferences (BigXII, ACC, PacWhatever) that want to go to a secure big time conference for a big time payday.

Chris Klieman

Pat Narduzzi

Dave Doeren

Lance Leipold

Matt Campbell

I think all the above would take new jobs at $7M+, which for BigTen schools is affordable after this latest media contract

Additionally could see someone like Gus Malzahn looking to move back to P5 if he has another decent year.   And coaches could move inside the BigTen/SEC.  I could see PJ Fleck moving on, Mark Stoops,  Shiano to other schools within the BigTen/SEC.   Plenty of guys with experience, who are good coaches, are available for the right dollar amount.   Most of the ones mentioned, I would guess, would strongly consider NU with an offer north of 7M

22 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

It is interesting that we are now hoping for 8-9 win seasons when we had that with Bo and we could not wait to get rid of the guy. I guess after two plus decades of disappointing dive into oblivion, we are willing to settle for 8 win seasons. Thanks Frost, you really lowered the bar in Lincoln and were able to break our spirits. That is definitely an accomplishment!

dead-horse.gif

1 hour ago, admo said:

We also have.... rattler snakes, and dust, and cowboy boots.... and desert skies, and horses, and bobcats and coyotes and foxes and deer..... and bales of hay.... and green tractors.... and borracho beans.... tortillas.... with Al Pastor or Barbacoa.....eggs an T-bones...  110 degree summers.... Church on Sundays..... red-tailed hawks and meat cows..... some milk cows too.... and lots of back road dirt trails for your mudding pleasures.... a lot of cactus and bluebonnets.... and ponds and lakes with blue gill and bass.... plus a lot of dust and dirt and extra armpit stuff :)  It's so awful, and not nearly nice as the good life of Lincoln, Nebraska.  

They talkin s#!t about texas

• Oh Yeah! 1

I know this will be contradicted by many but I truly believe that if we were to steal Bret Bielema from Illinois, he would have us atop our division in two years max. He knows how to get the best out of his players and he knows the Big. He might not be the splash hire everyone is looking for but I am certain he will know how to coach the talent on this team. He will outsmart Frost again this year. That is of course if Frost is still coaching when we face Illinois. 

3 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I know this will be contradicted by many but I truly believe that if we were to steal Bret Bielema from Illinois, he would have us atop our division in two years max. He knows how to get the best out of his players and he knows the Big. He might not be the splash hire everyone is looking for but I am certain he will know how to coach the talent on this team. He will outsmart Frost again this year. That is of course if Frost is still coaching when we face Illinois. 

He's ugly.. So no.

• Haha 1

Liepold is the guy I would go after. Very successful in D3, Brought Buffalo from the cellar of the MAC to winning it, and they're right back in the cellar within 2 years of him leaving. Kansas is a trash program, but he's had them playing well (beat Texas, was close to OU until the end). Just seems to be a coach where the programs improve whenever he arrives, and he's been a HC the entire time. Was a backburner guy if Frost fell through in 2017.